Does eM Client do yahoo mail without a paid yahoo mail account?

Thank you.

I just found out that last year yahoo changed its policy and now allows POP for free accounts.  Since eM Client can do POP, my question no longer makes sense.  Please ignore.  Thanks!

Hello Ryan, glad you’ve found the solution, as far as I know I believe IMAP should be supported for both Free and Paid accounts, however I’m not a daily Yahoo user, so can’t say for sure, but you should not have any issues by setting up a Yahoo account through the automatic setup - available configuration should be used allowing you to synchronise over the available protocol.

Make sure to let us know if you come across any issues or questions regarding the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Regards,

eM Client is having trouble configuring my Yahoo Mail account. I continue to get the message that it could be the server is not connecting. Can anyone help?

Check that the security policy in your account settings is correct. Menu > Tools > Accounts.

POP3: pop.mail.yahoo.com  - Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy) 995
IMAP: imap.mail.yahoo.com  - Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy) 993
SMTP: smtp.mail.yahoo.com  - Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy) 465

Hey Gary!I am just installing eM Client and it looks great. To my surprise it is even synchronizing my job account. On the other hand, I wanted to set my yahoo account as default but it would not synchronize with the server. What should I do to enable the Yahoo account in the Client?

The first thing is to add the account if it is not already there. Go to Menu > Tools > Accounts and add a new account. Simply add your Yahoo address to the Automatic Setup and follow the prompts.

If it is there, but not synchronizing, you can look in Menu > Tools > Operations, and see if there are any errors. Maybe check that you have the above ports and security policies, and that you are using the correct password.

Sometimes the anti-virus application can block eM Client. If you disable that then try again and see if there is any difference.

I too have a problem adding my ymail account.  I get the message “Unauthorized”.
I’ve checked the setting quoted above and they’re correct although there isn’t a POP3 tab to check…  I’ve managed to add gmail and outlook accounts without a problem.  Can you help with the ymail one please?

You will have either POP3 or IMAP, not both. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

The authentication error is usually because of incorrect credentials, or an incorrect port and security policy combination. With some providers like GMail, you will get an authentication error using POP3 if you have not enabled less secure apps in Google settings. I don’t know if Yahoo! has something similar, but at least make sure that your account is enabled for IMAP.

A full list of the port combinations are as follows:

SMTP
Port 587 = Force usage of SSL/TLS
Port 25 = Use SSL/TLS if available
Port 465 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)

IMAP
Port 993 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Port 143 = Use SSL/TLS if available

POP3
Port 995 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Port 110 = Use SSL/TLS if available

The underlined ones are the best option for security if your server supports them. SMTP port 465 was reassigned and should no longer be used for SMTP, though many mail providers still recommend and use it.