Disabling Attachment Search Index Over Security Concerns

Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention my response to that… “The security risk is then the same as if you just downloaded the file to your device from anywhere else. Windows defender should also work in this case and keep the indexing safe.”

A) Windows in built system isn’t without it’s own flaws and security holes. Personal accountability to not download and open that type of malware remains on the user.

B) Don’t leave vulnerabilities in your software and expect Windows Defender (of all things) to keep you safe LOL that’s a horrible policy in software development. Especially when a fix is so simple it could be coded in about 15 minutes.

C) Yes, it may be no different of a risk as as downloading the file directly but I’m not stupid enough to actually download an attachment in an email from AM@Z0n and open it up. Here I get no say, EM Client just uses a check out all attachments with no user input approach.

While the ability to set specific folders to cache is ideal. All I really want as minimum is the ability to disable indexing attachments. I don’t want EM Client looking at them, opening them, indexing them or anything. I’d rather not risk exploits in favor of the minor convenience of being able to search within attached PDFs.The feature didn’t even exist till version 8 I think. Shouldn’t be that hard to have an option to completely disable all code associated with that new feature.

I may have accidentally discovered how to turn off the attachment indexing, I was trying to find out why my recently installed eMClient was very slow when typing. It was so slow I was thinking of removing the program.

There is a support article which hints that turning off attachment indexing can speed up eMClient and it says how to for Windows only.

https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/206

I tried it and it seems to have made my eMClient acceptably faster now. Below is a copy of the article text for easy reading. I hope it helps someone here.

"
Knowledgebase

My eM Client is running very slow since the Version 8 update. Why is that and how can I speed it up?
Posted by Olivia Sadler on 04 August 2020 10:56
We believe that the slowness of the new version is likely due to the attachment indexation and folder syncing. You can try leaving eM Client running overnight so it can complete this process.

Alternatively, you can run the eM Client application with a disabled indexer by pressing the Windows key and R key at the same time and entering the following command:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe” --disable-attachment-indexer

(Unfortunately there’s not currently a similar workaround for Mac OS)

We’re also working hard on fixing the speed issue and bringing you better performance with future updates.
"

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this. I’ve since moved on to use Postbox instead but I might have to take a second look at eM Client if this solves that issue.