Deleting folders crashes eM Client

I am trying to delete greyed out and non-greyed out folders in eM Client. With reference to this post https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/unable_to_delete_files_which_strangely_have_become_greyed… I am trying to delete the sub-folders before the folders, but after one or two folders have been deleted it says ‘Moving Items. This operation may take a while to complete. Please be patient.’ and then stays like that forever until I have to restart the program.

Why is this?

I am using Windows XP, eM Client 6.0.20617.0, and email by VPOP3 via IMAP.

Thanks

Hi, first of all please try to update your client to this more recent release (http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.20773/setup.msi) and check if the issue persists.
If it does what mail service are you using?

When deleted folders appear as greyed out and appear as italic, it means they can not be deleted, usually this is due to the fact these folders are subfolders of another folder. In order to delete them you have to delete the last sub folder first, otherwise you won’t be able to completely delete the folder.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Thanks. I’ve updated eM Client but the issue persists.

As I said I have been deleting the subfolders before folders first, as suggested in the thread I linked to. But this doesn’t help - after deleting one or two folders, I get the crash.

Hi again,
after the application crashes, is an error report window displayed, allowing you to display the error that caused the error?
If so can you copy the error and post it here on the forum?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

I have a similar problem with deleting folders. It does not crash eM Client but takes far too long - at least 10-15 minutes with ‘Moving Items. This operation may take a while to complete. Please be patient.’ displayed. Itt makes editing one’s folders impossible. Is there a solution to this?
Regards,
Bill Chesshyre

What version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you please check for the exact version number in Help > About?

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Version 6.0.21040.0.

Regards,

Bill Chesshyre

Can you please try to update your eM Client to this release and check if the issue persists, http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.21309/setup.msi ?

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks. I have updated to that release but the first folder I tried to delete took 14 minutes!

Regards,

Bill Chesshyre

Hi Paul,

Do you have any further advice about this problem? I am anxious to get on with editing my folders.

Regards,

Bill Chesshyre

Hi again Bill, can you please download this tool http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstackdump.exe and run the tool while the message is displayed? This will generate an eM Client stack dump file, can you please send me this file to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic?

Also in the original topic, you’ve mentioned the application crashes, does this still occur on your end? In case it does, can you please display the error that occurs during this action and submit it to us as well?
Copy the content of the error and send it to me by email or post it here on the forum.

Thank you,
Paul

Thanks, Paul,

Having run the tool, where do I find the stack dump file?

Regards,

Bill Chesshyre

The location of the file should be shown after running the utility, however the stack dump file should be saved into your documents folder by default.

Paul

Was this problem ever solved? I have this issue too. I believe the database may be corrupted and I’m willing to delete it and start over, but I’m not sure whether to delete specific files in the em Client data folder, or just delete the entire folder. Please advise.

Hello Paul,

Have your experts found a solution to this problem yet? It is very frustrating not being able to sort out folders.

Regards,

Bill Chesshyre

Hi Jenny if your application crashes, can you please submit the crash report displayed after the application crashes? Click on the “Show error” button, copy the content of the error and submit it to us here on the forum.

Thank you,
Paul

Hello Paul,

Any further news on this problem?

Regards,

Bill Chesshyre

Hi Bill, sorry for the late reply, I’ve talked to the developers about the issue, but unfortunately the dump files we’ve received are unavailable for diagnose as they were not correctly created.

However we believe the application is working properly as the items may really be moved, when you’re deleting the folder you might also be moving a large number of emails to the trash folder, which may take a while, if the folder contains a lot of data.

Can you please comment on the content of the deleted folder? Or are you able to replicate the issue with any folder, e.g. a folder that contains a small amount of emails?

Thank you,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks. I was sorry to hear the dump files were not correct. Should I try to create more? When I try the toll you suggested earlier, I get an error message. I cannot remember how I managed to upload log files to my Google Drive, as advised, and now cannot access my e-mails. Can you advise me again?
In fact, the folders I am trying to delete are empty. I have just tried deleting another one and eM Client has locked, with the following error message:  Moving items. This operation may take some time to complete. Can you have another go with the developers?
Regards,
Bill Chesshyre

Hi Bill, can you please send me an email with a reference link to this forum topic to [email protected]?

Thank you,
Paul