Default email address not constant.

I have many email addresses, one of them designated as the default.  How is it that most times when I open up eM Client I find that the default email address has mysteriously moved all by itself to the email address at the top of my list?  It is most frustrating to have to re-designate the default address every day.  For the avoidance of doubt, I do know that the default will only apply to a new email if the selected Smart Folder is “All Inboxes”, otherwise the default sending address will be the account currently selected.  This seems to me to be a very clunky arrangement anyway, but I do understand that that is how it is at present.  I have read many posts  complaining that a default email should be exactly what it says at all times, not just when you happen to be starting from the right place.  I agree with all of those comments.  But my question is - why does it move all on  its own?

There is a bug.  The only way to set the default email address correctly and permanently id to move the account that you want as default to the top of the list, then set it as default.

I’d like to add a ‘like’ to this message. The default should be the default no matter which account you currently have selected. I have inadvertently sent emails to clients from my personal account many times.

Hello,

There has indeed been a bug like this, but has long since been corrected. If this still applies to you, please make sure you have the newest available version http://www.emclient.com/release-history

As for the way that sending messages from selected accounts work, there are no plans for a change, although we’re of course sorry if it doesn’t fit into your workflow. The design of the program is that if you’d like to work with specific accounts, you’ll have them open, but otherwise you’ll be using the Smart Folders (Menu ->Tools ->Settings -> General - ‘Show Smart Folders’), which, while selected, always choose the default address.

Regards,
Maurice

Maybe this goes in the Ideas’ category but, as a non-executive director on a number of boards, I have many different email addresses.  I would really like a “no default email” option, where I would have to choose my email address each time.  Others would find this annoying, but I would live with the annoyance (and it would only be an option).  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve worked on a document in Word or excell and forwared it on, only to realise it was forwarded from my default email.  

I currently use Blackberry Hub for Android on my Samsung phone, and that is exactly what happens.

Maybe this goes in the Ideas’ category but, as a non-executive director on a number of boards, I have many different email addresses.  I would really like a “no default email” option, where I would have to choose my email address each time.  Others would find this annoying, but I would live with the annoyance (and it would only be an option).  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve worked on a document in Word or Excell and forwarded it on, only to realize it was forwarded from my default email.  

I currently use Blackberry Hub for Android on my Samsung phone, and that is exactly what happens.

Here it is, years after this Employee post, and the issue still persists of the return address being selected from the top email in the Smart Folders | All Inboxes, rather than using the default email that has been previously set.
This bug has not been corrected.   It is a significant problem that needs to be fixed.

Bob

Hello Robert,

The bug in not present anymore. If you’re replying to a message from All mail, then of course the recipient’s account will be used. The default mail account applies only on the New mail button.

Russel

I’m afraid you are incorrect.  If I create a NEW MAIL from the All mail Inbox, and the latest email still showing in the All mail inbox was directed to a different account (say “account 2”), THAT OVERRIDES THE DEFAULT ACCOUNT, and automatically enters “account 2” as the reply address for a NEW EMAIL, regardless of the account set as default.

This is a persistent problem.

Bob

Hi Robert,

when I test it , it works as it should. Please let me know what version you’re using. (Menu > Help > About).

Russel

Also, every time eMClient asks if I want to install a new update, I click in the affirmative.

Bob

Hello Robert,

Try please updating to the newest version at: https://www.emclient.com/dist/v7.2.35128/setup.msi and let me know if the problem persists.

Russel

Russell,
Thank you.  The “newest version” appears to have remedied the default email issue.  Now I must ask why the eMclient has not been updating to the newest application version, despite frequently asking me to install updates (to which requests I always select in the affirmative).  Are these latter updates not related to the client itself?  I don’t understand.

Bob