Database regularly is checked for corruption - did not close properly

This is an ongoing problem for years, when the client is resident in the system tray at shut down. Many other programs close properly. I suppose that I could just change the setting back to default; when clicking “x” it closes the program and then remember to do it before shutdown. But realistically, em is getting its head chopped off when shutdown occurs and it should be reminded to buckle up and prepare for landing!
I have never had corruption, so perhaps an option to do the check in the background and while they are at it, hide the splash screen. Otherwise a nice program.

What version are you using Paul?

The latest. As is with windows 10,2004 and the problem replicates itself over the years on several differently configured machines. Early in win 10 a notice would come up that the program was still working and you were given the choice to shut down or wait. That disappeared and Em gets cut off. But I’ve never had a corrupt file. So it seem superfluous.

The latest means what? 7.2.40748? 8.0.3385? 8.1.x?

Version: 8.0.3385 (83a873c)

I had similar problem when using google account in my office. In my case, the reason em Client does not close properly was that the port for Google chat (Google hangouts) was closed in my router.
Try uncheck XMPP: Go to Menu >> Accounts. Select your account then uncheck XMPP.
Or change the port number of XMPP from 5223 to 443.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately xmpp is unchecked in emclient… And this has been a problem
on at least two computers over many years and versions. It does not happen with any other client e.g.
mailbird and is associated with em client being resident, minimized to the system tray at shut down.
I think this is a problem with em client. My machines are Dell and HP, common computers… I think em client has more code work to be done.

So if you disable the setting to minimize application to tray, do you still have the issue?

Yes, Gary. I’ve been over this time and again with Em’s tech support.
Different computers, different background tsrs on two computers, disabling anti-virus, turning off
other tsrs… It’s the way they deal with shutdown when the program is minimized to the tray.
… and no other program does this. I had problems with Google drives backup shutting down, years ago.
But that was repaired. Also, earlier versions of windows let you know to wait while it was still running, but
apparently Win 10 doesn’t warn anymore and cuts the program off at the waist!

I happen to like having the program in the systray. So its a bother to shut down the program before shutting down Windows. I prefer Em Client, (the ever present splash start up screen annoying) but
they really have to solve the shutdown. PB

I am not able to reproduce this with the setting enabled and having eM Client minimized to the tray on Windows shutdown.

Do you have a Pro License? If you do, please open a new support ticket and I will take it. Let’s see if there is anything new we can discover.

If I enable (minimise to tray) and shutdown Windows, I always use the “Sleep” option and not the normal shutdown. That avoids any em startup database checking when the computer resumes.

Gary, I started with free license as I have always had only one account.
On 6/16/2016 I purchased a pro license. But as I was having a terrible time
solving the problem and with a renewal required for version 8, I declined to re-up
and left it as the free version. Also, the singe account situation still was on-going.
However, I’ve had numerous lengthy tech support attempts i.e. 113047 woth Olivia sadler
recently Juraj micek and anthony cooper. I was given a beta 8 and things settled down a bit
however even though its not as prevalent as it was in the earlier versions. It pops up
its head at the most inconvenient times. In other words its intermittent.

I’m sure that you have my records over the years. The problem was rampant in versions 6 and 7
settled down in 8 when the splash screen was a permanent startup fixture. It became irritating
so I just kept it onboard under the free license until the issue was handled in general at your end.
As it happened on multiple computers, I do not think its my installation or my setup. the two computers
were not nearly the same. I also sent in logs, etc, but have come to think with other system tray recident programs not displaying the problem, then the issue lies in the way em client shuts down. i give it a go
every once in a while but then it starts up and I opt for a substitute. Lots of tries. I just have to shut it down manually before pc shutdown or manually bring it up and down. But as I said, Mailbird and Outlook
do not have this issue and don’t cause back talk. You’re welcome to try but realize that I was not inclined
to renew the pro as I have only one account, had bought it originally for 38.98 to support, but felt that I would be putting good $$ after a reoccurring problem. I generally do no like to have to pay for support
when I feel the issue is with the program and not my use or program conflict. I’m sure my record is
replete with attempts. Maybe version 9 will be rock solid. PB

I’m having exactly the same problem for years–since Nov. 2014, when I first purchased a pro license, to be precise. And this on several Windows computers. I’ve more or less learned to live with it. If I forget to close the program before shutting Windows down, I have to wait for a long process of checking for corruption, as described by Paul. I’m using now v. 8.2.1509. I would be nice if this could be fixed.