contacts

Contacts disappeared

Some more info : An @outlook.com mailbox configured in emClient, working fine since long.  Suddenly, contacts are gone, list is empty.  
When adding a contact, shows up in the list (so one single contact now).
Disabling “Show Local Folders” : no contacts (which is correct)
Enabling “Show Local Folders” : just the one test contact I readded
When verifying the contacts.dat and _index files, there the e-mail addresses and names that I can see in the index data, but not in the main .dat file apparently. 

Hello Erwin,

Could we please ask if this has happened after an upgrade? If it did, you could try Importing the data again through Menu -> File -> Import.

If it didn’t happen after an upgrade, we would ask you to tell us how is your outlook set up in eM Client - POP, IMAP or Exchange? If it set up as something other than Exchange, we would recommend changing it. Microsoft has been migrating hotmail/msn/live/outlook accounts to the new Microsoft Exchange server so oftentimes users with different settings experience errors. You’d need to remove your account from eM Client and then set it up again (! please note that deleting the account means that all locally stored data will be deleted). After deleting the account, go to Tools -> Accounts -> New Account but skip the “Automatic Setup” option and in the “Mail” option click on the Exchange icon… Afterwards just enter your email address in both “Email address” and “User name” fields, enter the password and then be patient while eM Client is “Obtaining server configuration records”.

Regards,
Maurice

Hello,

Not after an upgrade.  Just from one day to the next, the contacts folder was empty.

This is an IMAP account, so the contacts are locally stored.

Is there a way to recover these, since I can see names and e-mail addresses when inspecting the contacts_data and contacts_index files.

Erwin

Hello Erwin,

IMAP doesn’t synchronize contacts. If you have an account at outlook.com and it is setup as IMAP, then the protocol used for synchronizing contacts is AirSync, which is known to cause issues. For that reason, we would recommend setting the account up as Exchange.

Could we please ask if you have your contacts stored on the server? Or did you only save them locally? Do you have a backup?

Thank you,
Maurice

Hello,

Just local contacts indeed (not synced from the server).
No backup, but activated now to avoid this in future (discovered the auto-backup function)

Created 2 new contacts and they are visible (with Local Folders enabled), so this works, but the intital contact is apparently lost.

As mentioned before, I do find names and e-mail addresses in the contacts data and index files in the storage directory.    Together with other binary data, but able to display in notepad.
Probably no easy method to recover them from there, except for writing them down from the file manually?

Erwin

Hello Erwin,

We’re glad to hear that you make use of the backup function.
There isn’t an easy solution and in general we advise against manipulating the files in the database, as this can lead to corruption. We can try to have a look at the database to see what is happening, although we don’t guarantee anything. The database is located in the eM Client folder in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming. You can send the folder to [email protected]

Regards,
Maurice

I am also last me contacts, is there someone who cant help me in Dutch ?