Contact Sync Failing

Upgraded today to 8.2.1237 (b402cf3).

At the same time I was trying to get my contacts properly syncing with google gsuite and had done a local merge and a resort from last name to first name.

After the upgrade, new contact folders of Coworkers, Family and Friends appeared. I can’t see these labels in my Google contacts or in my gmail labels. Now I can’t sync my contacts, getting the below error and log entry everytime I modify a contact.

I can’t remember the exact sequence of events was, but I now have local changes that I don’t want to lose, and cannot sync. Any idea what is going on or why I had a new bunch of folders appear?

Note, when I go to Settings/Contacts/Update Contacts, there is a red triangle beside my gmail address indicating a connection failure “An attempt to connect to failed”. Pressing the triangle leads to a new failed attempt. Not sure what this means as email and calendar are still syncing fine. Presumably it relates to the phantom folders that have been created.

Errors:
[Google Contacts]Creating or updating folder ‘/Contacts/Friends’ failed due to the following error: Cannot modify a system group.

Logs:
7:08:12 PM Online state: changed to online due to NetworkAvailability
7:08:12 PM IMAP Synchronizing folder list
7:08:13 PM Google Contacts Synchronizing folder list
7:08:13 PM Google Calendar Synchronizing folder list
7:08:14 PM Google Contacts Uploading folder ‘/Contacts/Friends’
7:08:14 PM [Google Contacts] MailClient.Storage.Application.OperationException: Creating or updating folder ‘/Contacts/Friends’ failed due to the following error: Cannot modify a system group.
—> The service people has thrown an exception: Google.GoogleApiException: Google.Apis.Requests.RequestError
Cannot modify a system group. [400]
Errors [
Message[Cannot modify a system group.] Location[ - ] Reason[badRequest] Domain[global]
]
at Google.Apis.Requests.ClientServiceRequest1.ParseResponse(HttpResponseMessage response) at Google.Apis.Requests.ClientServiceRequest1.ExecuteAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Protocols.Gdata.FetchHelper.FetchWithCancellationAsync[T](ClientServiceRequest1 request, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at MailClient.Protocols.Gdata.FetchHelper.FetchWithCancellation[T](ClientServiceRequest1 request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Protocols.Gdata.ContactFolderSynchronizer.Upload(FolderUploadContext uploadContext, Folder folder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.FolderSynchronizer.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.b__0(WorkerStatus status, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Protocols.Gdata.GenericGapiCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at MailClient.Protocols.Gdata.GenericGapiCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
EnqueuedStackTrace =
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.FolderSynchronizer.EnqueueUpload(Folder folder)
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.FolderSynchronizer.GoOnlinePre()
at MailClient.Protocols.Gdata.GdataContactsAccount.GoOnlineInt()
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.ChangeOnlineState(Boolean online, OfflineReason offlineReason)
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.GoOnline()
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountList.<>c__DisplayClass19_1.b__1()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.<.cctor>b__277_0(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunFromThreadPoolDispatchLoop(Thread threadPoolThread, ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot, Thread threadPoolThread)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntryUnsafe(Thread threadPoolThread)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteFromThreadPool(Thread threadPoolThread)
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()
GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True
7:08:15 PM Google Calendar Synchronizing folder list
7:08:16 PM Google Calendar Synchronizing folder ‘/Calendar’
7:08:30 PM IMAP Uploading item(s) to folder ‘/All Mail’
7:08:32 PM IMAP Synchronizing folder ‘/All Mail’
7:08:47 PM IMAP Synchronizing folder ‘/Trash’
7:08:50 PM IMAP Synchronizing folder ‘/Junk E-mail’
7:13:11 PM IMAP Synchronizing folder list
7:13:12 PM IMAP Synchronizing folder ‘/All Mail’
7:13:13 PM IMAP Synchronizing folder ‘/Trash’
7:13:14 PM IMAP Synchronizing folder ‘/Junk E-mail’

Yes, there are system folders on the Google server, which have since been hidden in the web interface. Unfortunately the server is still announcing them, so they appear in eM Client.

Trying to delete or change them in any way will result in the error you experienced.

The only way to resolve this, is to remove the Gmail account from eM Client, then add it back again.

Then try and avoid touching them again. I know - it is difficult. I had to re-add my Gmail account a few times. :wink:

Thanks Gary. Deleted and re-added the account. Everything syncing now.

Not sure if I lost anything, suppose time will tell :slight_smile:

I have the same problem: I deleted first just the calendar. As this did not help, I deleted the entire google account. Reconnecting went smoothly, but still I get
[Google Contacts]Das Hochladen von Elementen auf den Server in Ordner ‘[email protected]/Contacts’ ist fehlgeschlagen mit folgendem Fehler: Cannot add contacts to deprecated system contact group resource name “contactGroups/family”.
Any suggestions?
Regards
Jürg

A ‘few’ times? This appears to be a serious eM bug in 8.2 ! Gah! I just switched over and was loving the features, but I use the hell out of my contacts and they ain’t syncing even after I tried the ‘repair’ trick (which lost recently added contact data of course).

The issue is with the Google server. It is announcing deprecated folders as being available for syncing, so we try to sync them. But they don’t exist, so if you click on them, you will get an error.

Remove the Gmail account from eM Client, then add it back again.

Conversely, there are some folders (labels) on Google that they don’t sync. If you login to the Google Contacts web interface, and the missing contacts are in the Other Contacts folder, you will need to move them in the web interface to a folder that Google does sync - like Contacts.

1 Like