Constant crashes, mostly after checking mail

As of the latest update (8.2.1237.0), I’m getting constant crashing. 3-5 times/day. Often right after checking mail, when clicking on new messages. But sometimes even when I’m away from the PC. (And auto-checking mail is disabled)

Prior version v8.1.876 and 5 more before it did not have this issue.

This is the error popup I get:

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Have you given any thought to an uninstall/reinstall?

If you would like a step-by-step set of instructions, let me know.

I can try that, what are the steps?
Or downgrade to previous stable version if my DB will work with it?

Thanks

If you are comfortable executing these steps, give this a try:
(1) Delete any installation files you have downloaded.
(2) Uninstall eM Client, making sure not to delete your database directory when asked. This will ensure your settings and data remain in place.
(3) If it exists, delete C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client
(4) Download and install the latest version from the Release History.
(5) The latest version of eM Client should then start with all your data in place.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, tried uninstalling and re-installing same version, still crashes the same. Uninstalled and re-installed 8.2.1193.0, now crashes still happen but 80-90% less often.
Hopefully a next version fixes this bug, but I will wait a while before trying new ones. Maybe in a few years :wink:

I use this for business, so cannot afford this type of problem during upgrades. I bought the lifetime license just over a year ago, and they decided to cut off my support and send me to this forum instead, so not very pleased as someone who paid for this app.

The problem may be with the database, and not the application.

Go to Menu > Settings > General > Storage and make a note of the current location. Then change it to something else and restart eM Client.

Setup your email accounts again and see if the crashes still happen. If they do, go to Menu > Settings > General > Storage and set it back to the original location. Restart eM Client. Now back to where you were.

If they don’t, problem solved.

Yes, a Pro License comes with 1 year of VIP Support. When that expires, you can purchase another year as needed from the website.

Hi Gary, how would this solve my problem if I can’t use my database?
Also is there logs where I can see exactly what’s causing the crash?

Crashes are poor error handling, the app needs to be updated to properly handle whatever issue is causing the crashes.