Constant CPU usage around 30%

I have a problem with constant CPU usage between 25-30%. When I use procmon.exe from Sysinternals, I can see that MailClient.exe is constantly reading the file mail_data.dat (size around 8GB). For several last days.

In the forum I found out that it is caused most probably by the database being compacted, however, it is VERY annoying, emClient is quite slow in receiving and sending emails. Do you have any utility, that would finish the job in hours and not days?

It started several days ago when emClient wanted to download again all emails from All Mails Gmail directory and it took enormous time and it looked as if it hanged after a while. That’s why I stopped using emClient’s Download messages for offline reading mode. However, it didn’t help much, it only stopped constant synchronizing.

Would it help if I deleted the old database and started from scratch?

Thanks alot in advance for any help.

Hello Petr,
please download this utility - http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstack… and run it a few times next time eM Client starts using the CPU at 25-30%.
Send all the created text files to rust@emclient.com with a link to this forum topic so we can analyze and see what could be causing this.

Regards,
Olivia

Hello Petr,
unfortunately the stack dumps only show that eM Client is compacting its database, which is being done frequently to avoid one huge change that would take this much CPU. Why yours takes so much each time is rather curious issue. This kind of CPU should be consumed at most at startup or after a lot of data has been moved or erased from the database. To force a cleanup of the whole database at once you can run this utility - http://www.emclient.com/tools/DbRepai…, but it’s possible that this won’t solve your problem.
Unfortunately this kind of issue is very difficult to trouble shoot. eM Client should throttle its CPU usage automatically and take up around 10% at most and never interfere with other apps. Another app could be blocking eM Client from frequently editing the database files though - perhaps an antivirus or anti-malware software or some drivers that could view this behaviour as suspicious. Are you using any such applications that would check on your other programs’ activity this way?

Regards,
Olivia

Thank you Olivia for your reply.

I am using ESET Endpoint Security 6.2 antivirus. I tried to deactivate it and it did not help.

I think there must have been a problem with database files. I exported settings, closed the app, renamed the emClient folder and started it again. It created the db files again, I imported the settings and now I am downloading my complete Gmail mailbox again for offline use. It’s been downloading for e.g. two hours now however the CPU consumption is only around 3%, which is great.

However, I noticed the emClient folder contains many more db files that the old folder (see the attached screenshot). I also noticed that the old sqlite.log file contains some errors (bellow). Hope it helps.

04/13/2016 07:06:22 1 no such table: mail_fti.LocalMailsIndex3_stat
04/13/2016 07:06:23 1 no such table: mail_fti.SubjectIndex_stat
04/13/2016 07:06:23 1 no such table: mail_fti.AddressIndex_stat

Thank you again for your support, I appreciate it very much.

Regards,

Petr

Hello Petr,
the extra files are temporary files that save changes made to your database while eM Client is running.
The changes are written to the main files after you close eM Client and then the temp files are erased.

If you still have the sqlite log which has these errors, send them to me (gain with the link to the forum or as a reply to our previous conversation, please) and I’ll consult it with our programmers.

Regards,
Olivia

After rebuilding the database files, everything works all right a smooth! I cannot attach the file to this forum as you allow attaching just images, however the log is very simple, I am copying the last several lines that repeat themselves:

04/11/2016 10:23:52 1 no such table: mail_fti.LocalMailsIndex3_stat
04/11/2016 10:23:54 1 no such table: mail_fti.SubjectIndex_stat
04/11/2016 10:23:54 1 no such table: mail_fti.AddressIndex_stat
04/13/2016 07:06:22 1 no such table: mail_fti.LocalMailsIndex3_stat
04/13/2016 07:06:23 1 no such table: mail_fti.SubjectIndex_stat
04/13/2016 07:06:23 1 no such table: mail_fti.AddressIndex_stat

It cannot simply find those three tables.

I just looked into the new sqlite.log file and found the same lines:

04/13/2016 11:14:54 1 no such table: mail_fti.SubjectIndex_stat
04/13/2016 11:14:54 1 no such table: mail_fti.AddressIndex_stat
04/13/2016 11:15:10 1 no such table: mail_fti.LocalMailsIndex3_stat
04/14/2016 05:57:04 1 no such table: mail_fti.SubjectIndex_stat
04/14/2016 05:57:04 1 no such table: mail_fti.AddressIndex_stat
04/14/2016 05:57:06 1 no such table: mail_fti.LocalMailsIndex3_stat

Regars,

Petr

Hi Petr,
I meant to send it to the mail address I mentioned in the first post, but it won’t be needed now.
Apparently this is a normal behaviour for the log and is not the cause of the CPU usage.

Regards,
Olivia