Connection failed- red triangle

A red triangle appears next to the email address and a error message connection failed
I cannot send or receive any message

I’m having the same issue since 06/30/20. Is there a resolution to this issue?

Me too.
I have a gmail account. Email works fine on my iPhone and logging into gmail on my computer.

I’ve looked into this and it appears that emClient is not negotiating IMAP connections properly. If you enable debug logging in emClient, you’ll see errors in the log like this:

12:55:45.762|034| >>> COMMAND CONNECTION EXCEPTION: MailClient.Accounts.ConnectionException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host..
 ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host..
 ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (10054): An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.GetResult(Int16 token)
   at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadPacketAsync(Stream transport, AsyncProtocolRequest request)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.ThrowIfExceptional()
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.InternalEndProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.EndProcessAuthentication(IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.EndAuthenticateAsClient(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.<>c.<AuthenticateAsClientAsync>b__65_1(IAsyncResult iar)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.<>c__DisplayClass69_0.<<ConnectAsync>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at MailClient.Imap.Base.TransportPipe.<>c__DisplayClass31_0.<<UpgradeStreamAsync>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at MailClient.Imap.Base.TransportPipe.UpgradeStreamAsync(Func`2 callback)
   at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.ConnectAsync(Func`2 getStream, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.ConnectAsync(Func`2 getStream, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.ConnectInternalAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.ConnectInternalAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnectionAsync(Folder mailFolder, Boolean noSelect)
   at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionContext.CreateContextAsync(ImapAccount account)
   at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapFolderSynchronizer.ListFoldersAsync(IListFoldersProgress progress, Folder homeFolder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapFolderSynchronizer.GetFolderList(IListFoldersProgress progress, Folder homeFolder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MailClient.Protocols.Common.FolderSynchronizer.<>c__DisplayClass15_2.<EnqueueGetFolderList>b__1(WorkerStatus status, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.<>c__DisplayClass12_0.<.ctor>b__0(WorkerStatus ws, CancellationToken ct)
   at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.ExecuteInternalSync(WorkerStatus status)
   at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
12:55:45.763|03B| AccountBase.ChangeOnlineState : STATE CHANGE TO offline due BrokenConnection

This is occurring on an IMAP account I have tested, including Google and Microsoft Hotmail / Outlook.com.

@Gary nailed my problem at least. Turns out Avast Mail Shield does not like emClient v8 for some reason. Not sure why yet, but disabling Avast Mail Shield allowed emClient v8 to connect to IMAP accounts and pull in mail. Once the initial connection is done, enabling Mail Shield appears to work again. Never experienced this problem with previous versions of emClient. I’ve had the same mail accounts for a long time, and used emClient with Avast since v6 as well.

The key difference here appears to be that emClient v8 manages certificates in a different way than v7 and prior. Avast automatically adds its root certificate authority to the Windows system certificate store, but Avast v8 no longer appears to use that cert store. I had to manually add the Avast Mail Shield certificate to emClient’s (separate) certificate store and then the mail shield worked.

1 Like

I have been unable to get ver 8 to connect, and I use Avast. I disabled Mail Shield as you mentioned, and then the connections worked. I don’t know enough about certificate management to be able to make the certificate change you mentioned, but just getting this far makes me happier.

Ken

Can you possibly guide on how to do the needful?

Unfortunately, none of those solutions ended up working for more than 10 minutes. I ended up just disabling Mail Shield scanning of IMAP.

Hi all,

Is there a fix to this issue with AVG and Avast mail scaning yet for v8. I have just updated to V8 as I needed to to keep the Gmail calendar working (as per the email announcement from emClient) and I have AVG. I get the dreaded red triangle. I followed the AVG instructions to export the certificate from AVG and duly imported it into emClient v8. Rebooted just to be sure and I still have the red triangle. If I disable the mail shield then it works fine. I am not changing from AVG so I am a bit stuck now and it looks like I will have to abandon emClient because of this.

A sad day for me as I like emClient a lot but the AVG is just renewed at great expense and I’m not ditching it. I am not prepared to use AVG without the mail shield active either.

I am now on emClient v 8.2.1473

I also uninstalled the Ransomware and Mail scanning modules of AVG, rebooted and then reinstalled the Ransomware and Mail scanning modules and this did not help.

thanks
Paul

Can you try uninstalling AVG, reboot Windows and install AVG again.

Sometimes when installing a security type application, it will be less likely to block existing applications on the computer, so this may have a positive result.

Otherwise, as the issue is with the configuration of AVG, can you contact them for support?

Tried the Uninstalling AVG and reinstalling and that didn’t work.

I guess I could ask the question the other way around… Is there anyone here running AVG “Internet Security” with the mail shield acive and sucessfully using emClient with a Gmail account? Is it just me or is it a global issue?

Cheers,
Paul

Same problem - bit me this morning. Disabled AVG Mail Check and it works fine again. Is this AVG/Avast’s problem, or eMC’s?
Update - I reenabled AVG’s Mail check, and the problem has gone away.
Further update - no it hasn’t. Disabled Mail check until next restart