Clicking FLAG doesn't work in 9.2.1185 (f030a8a) BUG?

I did not have that checked, but even after checking that box, it doesn’t work. Interestingly, I don’t see any difference if I check the hover settings or not. I mean, even when unchecked it still shows the read and flagged on mouse hover.

Tried using on two different monitors. The unread hover-icon works fine. No function of the flagged one.

Still broken in 9.2.1222

I’m thinking I might reinstall emClient, but don’t want to lose all my settings and data.

So this was a beta install that I upgraded. The auto-updates have never worked. So something isn’t quite right from the beta upgrade.

In 9.2.1185 the read/unread circle works, but nothing happens when I click the flag.

I also cannot replicate that problem and could be something with the program installation that maybe didn’t install correctly or something went wrong during the install. Works ok for me.

I’m thinking I might reinstall emClient, but don’t want to lose all my settings and data

When you uninstall “don’t delete the database” when asked on uninstall.

Also before uninstalling make a manual backup first via “Menu / Backup”. You can see when the backup is completed via “Menu / Operations”.

Other than that as @Gary mentioned above, might be something to do with your Display settings Resolution or Scaling size, and would need to know what they are ?.

Also are you using Windows or Mac ?

I’m having this same issue in 9.2.1222 after upgrading from 9.1.2109. However, it’s only happening on one of my systems.

What I noticed is that this only appears to happen on folders where the “Read” flag is visible, ie Inbox’s. If I click the “Flag” icon, nothing happens. If i switch to another non-Inbox folder (ie, Flagged favorites, or any other folder) then I can click the Flag icon and it will set/clear the flag. When I hover over those messages the “Read” icon does not appear (I can’t recall if it was this way in 9.1 or not). I have tried enabling and disabling the “Always show …” option as suggested. It has no effect. I tried repairing my install, and also uninstalling and re-installing. Right clicking the message and clicking Flag, or using the shortcut both work.

I upgraded my laptop to see if I can reproduce the issue, and it works fine there. Also enabling/disabling the “Always show…” option doesn’t change things, I can always click the Flag icon in Inbox folders and it works there.

My desktop is running Windows 11 @ 3440x1440 with 100% scaling.
My laptop where things are working is running Windows 11 @ 3840x2400 with 250% scaling.

This was working on my desktop before the upgrade, and I compared the settings in the “Mail/Read” configuration and they are the same. I also tried removing the “Read” icon from the Inbox list (via columns configuration) and that didn’t work (it removed the icon, but clicking Flag still has no effect).

Update: Actually after further testing, it appears this is only happening in one of my Inbox’s on one of my accounts. Others actually seem to work fine. But I guess since there’s an issue with the one inbox, the “Unread” and “All Inboxes” will then have the same issue (I’m unable to click the Flag icon on any message in either of those folders, even if the message is contained in an Inbox that I can click the flag). I have the account (iCloud) on both systems and it does work on the laptop. I’ll keep looking to see if there’s a setting that may be causing the issue.

YES! It appears that the flag option is only broken on one inbox (one of several gmail accounts) and on my “All Inboxes” folder.

I managed to fix it on the one Inbox that it was broken on by exporting the configuration for the account (“Save As” in the account config), and then importing the config and overwriting the current one. The Inbox for that account now allows me to set the Flag. (be warned that this will clear favorites attached to the account, so I would take a backup first if you try this. It may also clear other settings for the account such as rules… I don’t have any configured for the account in question so I don’t know what will happen).

While this fixed the account, it did not fix “All Inboxes” or “Unread”. However, I did find that if I “Apply Column Configuration to other Folders” (right clicking in the list header for a working Inbox) and apply it to “All Inboxes”, then it will temporarily work for “All Inboxes”. Eventually it stops working, and it didn’t work at all for “Unread.”

I am also seeing this problem with my Microsoft 365 account. I will attempt to export / import settings to see if that fixes it.

1 Like

Please right-click on the column header and choose Columns Configuration.

Reset the config.

Are you able to click on the Flag after that?

1 Like

Ah! The one thing I didn’t try. It worked! Survived a restart as well.

Thanks!

I have this same issue after 9.2.1222. Clicking the flag to toggle used to work from all inboxes but does not anymore. It does work from the individual inboxes. I did the reset trick mentioned earlier and it does appear to work, copied config from O365->All inbox. It did give a concerning message but it did work and has survived a restart of emclient.

Thanks Gary, that worked.

I have this problem. It seems to be tied to the avatar. If I have avatars showing the flag click works. If I hide avatars the flag click stops working. Looks like a bug.

1 Like

Yes, same problem here, with avatar hidden the flag click doesn’t work anymore, very annoying bug.

Same Problem. I hope the bug will be fixed soon.

I can also replicate not being able to click flags next to emails “if you don’t have Avatars enabled” even with V9.2.1222 for Windows.

For those that are still seeing the problem, did you try Gary’s suggestion above in resetting the Columns Configuration config? It worked perfectly for me (and I don’t have Avatars enabled).

@Terry_Katz

For those that are still seeing the problem, did you try Gary’s suggestion above in resetting the Columns Configuration config? It worked perfectly for me (and I don’t have Avatars enabled).

Set defaults in Columns configuration does not work for me in V9.2.1222. Only worked for some peeps.

It worked for most folders, though it came back (maybe when I added a new account?) and I have to repeat. Before I “SET DEFAULT” I could see the unread dot on top of the flag (and flag didn’t work) after “SET DEFAULT” the flag replaces the unread button, so I don’t have the option of clicking unread (which I actually liked, it’s how I snooze emails), but the flag works.

So before I could see both the dot and the flag, but flag didn’t work. Now with “SET DEFAULT” I can click the flag, but the unread button is unavailable. Is there a setting to switch it back to the old layout?

I have this same problem. As soon as I remove Avatar from the columns, I can no longer flag an email by clicking the flag symbol.

Would be great if this bug could be resolved in a future update.

Thanks.

@NDLuke

I have this same problem. As soon as I remove Avatar from the columns, I can no longer flag an email by clicking the flag symbol.

Would be great if this bug could be resolved in a future update.

eM Client would be already aware of this flag clicking problem in V9.2.1222 due to “many users having this issue in this thread”, and hopefully soon will have a fix.

In the meantime (if Set Defaults in Columns Configuration doesn’t work) for you as @Gary advised above to try, then just enable the “Avatas” in the Columns configuration. This will then allow you to select / de-select the flag for now. I’ve done that in the interim and it then works fine with flag clicking.

Note:- If you do enable the Avatars “as a temporary work around” and you don’t like the default large size Avatar, then go to “Menu / Settings / Mail / Read” and select “Small” next to “Avatar size” near the bottom. At least then they won’t be very obtrusive. I run my Avatas next to messages in Small size.

1 Like

Thanks for the small avatar suggestion @cyberzork - I’ll put it into that state now.

Looking forward to the fix, and keep up the great work eM Client team

1 Like