clicked on a contact category and it disappeared

This keeps happening to me. I click on the header of a contact category to hide its contents, and it disappears. Has it gone forever? If I can’t get it back that’s RIDICULOUS! The program should have asked me whether I wanted to delete it.

Can you explain what a “header of a contact category” is, or maybe better would be to provide a screenshot showing what you are referring to?

So, here’s what happens: when I click, then hold the left mouse button for slightly too long and move the cursor even a tiny distance, a small rectangle appears under the arrow cursor. Then, when you release the button, the category disappears, and when you check the properties box for the contacts that used to be in that category, they now  have “none” in the “category” box. It really shouldn’t be so easy to lose data like this. Can you please do something about it.

Where are you clicking the mouse? It is not clear from what you have written what you are referring to.

The categories have a header, with the category title and a triangle arrow on the left side. When you click the arrow it alternately hides/shows the contacts in that category. But, when I click on the arrow , then hold the left mouse button for slightly too long and move the cursor even a tiny distance, a small rectangle appears under the arrow cursor. Then, when I release the button, the category disappears, and when you check the properties box for the contacts that used to be in that category, they now  have “none” in the “category” box. Try it - put a few contacts into a new category and do what I’ve described. See if the same thing happens. It really shouldn’t be so easy to lose data like this. Can you please do something about it.

Sorry, Gary, not you, but the eM programmers.