Checking for Corrupted Database after each Windows restart

@Thos

I went to the logging function to set up a log report. There are dozens of options and none of them seem particularily suitable to dignose regular crashes.

Once you lodge the problem with Pro Support, (they will advise you what you need to do) and click on etc to diagnose & resolve issues.

Sometimes you also have to run specific eM Client diagnostic executables as well to find the issues.

1 Like

Hi Cyberzork,

Thanks for your help. I now have log files from two crashes. I simply selected every option and waited for a crash to happen. I will send to eMC using a VIP ticket.

Thanks for your help !! I come back here and leave a note as to what was the outcome.

Thomas

1 Like

This is indeed a very unfortunate issue. Saying that it is by design that you have to manually close emclient before restarting Windows is quite non-standard. Most all other programs will close themselves properly when a Windows shutdown/restart is initiated. Windows will even wait while those programs shut down (up to 30 seconds) to give them time to properly close.

Saying that “Windows just kills programs on shutdown” is wrong. Windows tells all programs that it is shutting down. If those programs ignore that, and don’t shut down properly, that is not an OS issue.

I don’t want to have to manually close emClient every time I shut down Windows. All other email clients (and other programs) are smart enough to shut themselves down properly automatically.

This happens to me ALL THE TIME. And I have to wait a few minutes for the database check to complete. It is SO frustrating.

I 100% consider this an emclient bug.

2 Likes

I’m using eMC for just over a year, on Windows 11.
I have 8 pop accounts. The size of the backup is more than 2 GB.

To shut down my system, I usually use this command (shortcut):
C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f /t 1
(/f is actually unnecessary, implicit with /t 1)

On startup, EMc sometimes checks the DB (rather rarely) and it takes less than a minute.

BTW, I used to use Thebat! and others. I’m quite happy with the change, even though I’m nostalgic for Eudora, for its stability, email storage and integration of X1 as a search engine.