Check for updates still not working

What is the point of having a check for updates function if it never works? I’ve almost put this up a few times but noticed some one else had already done so but after so many requests it still isn’t fixed. Just going by the similar topics bar to the right of here this has been going on since at least july last year.

It does work. It just doesn’t offer updates to all users at the same time.

You can always download updates immediately from the Release History.

I’m sorry but that makes absolutely zero sense. I can understand not pushing an update out to everyone at the same time but there is no logic to doing that for a function triggered by the user looking to see if there is an update. This is not Microsoft where there are millions of people to get an update out to.

Plus it has never worked for me when there has been an update available. Frankly I don’t believe its due to a staggard rollout but more likely just a bugged system no ones bothered fixing.

I get updates offered on the day they are released.

If you have a Pro License and are not receiving the update notifications, check your License Manager to ensure you have not disabled updates, or open a support ticket directly with eM Client.

If you have a Free License, eM Client have already admitted that they throttle updates to ensure quality control, so that may be the cause of when you click on check for update, you are not offered one.

Therefore, downloading from the Release History may be the best option to ensure you have the most recent update, even if it crashes after you install it. :wink:

@RichardT1 Apart from what @Gary advised above. See also Michal-Burger (eM Client Support) reply on the following thread, as to why not every interim update is pushed when you click “Check for Updates”.

Automatic Updates? - eM Client

(Automatic Updates? - #21 by Michal_Burger)

Yes, this is the reason why we push updates gradually. eM Client is a really complex product and some issues may happen just for a specific group of users (for example using a specific server provider) and this approach allow us to react on that really quickly and limit potential harm to the smallest user group possible. This is quite a standard approach among software companies nowadays. And there is always an option to be notified about these new updates and install them manually or set an update mode to “Testing” in License manager (or on request for free users).

I am a PRO user and ever since the release of 8.1.979.0 on 12-29-20 the “Check for Update” function has reported “No Updates”.

Today, after starting eMC, I received the popup box notifying me of the 8.1.979.0 version availability. I also noticed that the “Check for Update” now returned the availability of the new version.

So in my case I fell into the “~10-day delay before notification” category. Why? Who knows or cares. eMC internal policies regarding notification is their business and if they want to release that to their customers is up to them.

I monitor the “release history” web page and make install decisions based on my own criteria.

So there are options and more important issues that need work.

@Michal_Burger commented yesterday that they found and fixed some issue in this regard:

Where did the “comment” appear?

If you click on the thread link in the comment I quoted, it will take you there.

I never received notification of the comment that was sent by some guy named Burger not wilson… Moving on after a waste of my time this morning

Oh, I am sorry. For some reason I selected George instead of Michal in my comment. I have changed it.

… there were several complaints about the problem over months… what the Burger guy did was reply to ONE of them but should have posted the resolution as an ANNOUNCEMENT.

Michal Bürger is the CEO and co-founder of eM Client.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s right. Burger guy is going to reply to some hot topics here every time he finds some spare time for that :slight_smile: , which is not always easy. However this user forum is a golden mine for us about users’ perception of eM Client and all the feedback posted here is very valuable. Sometimes it may seem that we don’t listen to some of your complaints, but in fact we always try to gather all the user feedback from you guys and put the reasonable things to our road plan even though it may take some time. We just can’t react to everything. And we are really thankful to Gary for all the effort he puts into answering the questions of our users.

2 Likes

I don’t believe I was complaining about anyone from eMC posting/replying to any topics. As I said to @Gary I did not get notification of your post and replied to someone in another post about the same topic until @Gary pointed out YOUR post. Since the topic was a “hot topic” I mentioned that your reply would be more appropriate in the ANNOUNCEMENTS category thus addressing the multiple separate topic posts.

1 Like

That’s wonderful to hear from a consumer’s perspective, especially coming for the :hamburger: guy, ahem, eMC CEO.
Keep the wonderful work, @Michal_Burger!

As for @Gary, I just can’t imagine this forum without him (with all due respect to other mods and valuable members).

3 Likes

I did open a ticket since I am a pro user. It may have been that the URL that was located in my version was pointing to a server maybe not in use. I have not received a response back yet from support but will try to do an update manually in the future and see if that fixes the problem. I didnt know until support told me that there is a hidden URL that you can access in the ‘about’ screen. If thats not correct…it wont know there is a new update…

Hey there Michal_Burger I did get te reply re the problem with the update notification and for that I thank you! Hopefully that will eliminate this situation. I will monitor to determine if the fix worked.

As for Gary he is the heart and soul of this forum and it is comforting to know he is there when needed.

Keep up the great work on EMC and it is nice to see it evolving into the best email client available!!

:+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like