Changing the storage folder causing eM Client to crash.

Changed storage location from \AppData\Roaming\eM Client to a folder on another partition.

Now i’m greeted with this:

System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException: disk I/O error

disk I/O error

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Prepare(SQLiteConnection cnn, String strSql, SQLiteStatement previous, UInt32 timeoutMS, String& strRemain)

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.BuildNextCommand()

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.GetStatement(Int32 index)

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader.NextResult()

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader…ctor(SQLiteCommand cmd, CommandBehavior behave)

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)

at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteScalar()

at DbRepair.DbTools.IsAutoVacuum(IDbConnection connection)

at DbRepair.Form1.CheckCorruption()

at DbRepair.Form1.Check(Object state)

Yes, i did copy all the files except the settings.xml file to the new folder.

Update:

Using the “repair” option in the install binary does nothing.

Update 2:

Removing the “Settings.xml” file from \AppData\Roaming\eM Client, then uninstalling eM Client from the binary, and then re-installing eM Client results in everything going back to normal.

But still having the storage folder set to \AppData\Roaming\eM Client

Can someone please help me with changing the storage folder?
I have no idea what i’m doing wrong.

Hi, sorry for the belated reply, the error you’ve posted seems to be caused by a database corruption or a hard drive issue that may have made some of the database files inaccessible, glad you’ve found a solution to resolve this issue.

Please make sure to let me know if you come across any other issues or questions about the application.

Thank you,
Paul

The issue still persist.

I can’t change the storage folder without causing the eM Client to crash.

Is there a way to change the storage folder without having to do this fix again?

Thanks in advance.

So this issue occurs, when you try to change the database storage folder in the application settings?

Why did you remove the settings.xml file? 

Regards,
Paul

I did not remove the settings.xml file from /AppData/Roaming/eM Client BEFORE it crashed.

I did it so that the re-install of the eM Client after this issue occured would be fixed.

In steps:

1. copied the contents of  /AppData/Roaming/eM Client to a new folder, except the settings.xml file
  2. Changed the storage folder in the eM Client settings to the new folder
  3. Started up the eM Client, got the error regarding database corruption
  4. tried to repair using the “repair” option in the eM binary install
  5. tried to re-install without removing the settings.xml file from  /AppData/Roaming/eM Client first, this did not work.
  6. Tried to re-install after removing the settings.xml file from  /AppData/Roaming/eM Client, this method did work, and i’m back where i started (see step 1)

Hi Tobias, I’m afraid this is an unsupported way of moving your data, please try to setup a new database by removing or renaming the current eM Client folder in your Roaming folder.

Reopen eM Client and you should be able to re-setup all your accounts.

The current database seems to be corrupt.

Regards,
Paul

I just did a backup without any issues.

(File --> Backup)

Can’t i just do a clean re-install and restore from this backup?

Also, how can i specify which partition i install eM Client to? I have 3 partitions.

Hi Tobias,

You can not select where eM Client will be installed. It will always be installed on your C drive.

And yes, you should be able to restore from a backup. But I think making a backup will only ZIP the data files … I don’t think it will do a check on data-integrity. So if the original database is corrupt, the backup will also be corrupt.

The database is not corrupt.

Hi Tobias, yes you should be able to restore from this database, if you’d like to install the application in another destination you can use this command in command line,  “C:\Programs\eM Client\Release\MailClient.exe” /dblocation “c:\Programs\eM Client Database”

To specify the location you want to install in.

Hope this helps,
Paul