category key field

Is it possible to explain to me what key field is used when I link for example a category to an appointment. Reason for my question is this : I want an appointment made and categorised on one emClient computer, have the same category when viewed on a second computer. The appointments go into a gmail calendar.

Is it enough to have exactly the same category (description) on both emClients?
I see that - if a category does not exist on a second emClient - it is created on the fly. But on the other hand, when I search for a category that I changed into ‘voorbereiding vereist’, the query shows ‘category:Needs Preparation’. So it looks like the key field is NOT the description ?

Are the categories in a separate table. In that case it is probably possible to make a set on one computer, copy the table and indexes and send them over to another machine ? Then colours and other details would be exactly the same.

Any clear explanation highly appreciated.

Hello,

From what I have understood you want to synchronize categories on Gmail form one PC to another.
Unfortunately this is not possible, categories can’t be synchronized over gData…

If you want to try to export it and then import it on another PC then it will not work also, you would have to transfer whole messages/events.

regards
Jan

Well, actually I don’t want to synchronise categories. I just want them available on two different machines looking at the same calendar account and that is not the same.
Now categories are clearly available on two emclients and get assigned correctly after a native installation : but what happens if we start giving a category another description ?
I will try to explain what I mean as follows : emclient gives us a list of categories, that we can use in our accounts. I suppose that list is a table, since it is there in every native installation, even before any account is added. Now if we assign a category to an appointment, what is exactly linked to the appointment ? Is it our description, or is emClient using a hidden keyfield and just displaying our category description.

Hope this (lengthly) explanation makes my question clear to you.

Regards,
Marcus

Hello,

The basic set of categories is same in all eM Clients, if you rename category eM Client will synchronize it always under it’s original English name.

is this what you want to know?

regards
Jan

Jan ,

this is exactly what I need to know before I start up changing categories. I supposed it worked that way : the key field is based on the first description, when the category is created. Now I can safely delete all the ones that are there and create my onw categories. That way the descriptions in queries match the ones displayed.

Many thanks,
Marcus

Hello,

you are welcome, it was quite hard to understand for me your issue but I am happy that at the end I was able to help you.

regards
Jan

I have been working on creating the same categories on different computers, but it is not as simple as I tought : it looks like emClient categories are (re)created if they are found in the (gmail) calendar, task or contact items. Not only are they recreated, but if you deselect them in the category list afterwards, they are selected by emClient again. That makes it difficult to come to a standard set of categories in different emClients.

Is it possible to explain in detail how emClient is programmed to treat creation and selection of categories towards for example a google account ?

Best Regards,
Marc