categorize emails not persisting

If I set an email using “Categorize” I notice that after I restart the program a few times the emails then are not showing any category.  Sometimes this happens quite quickly, sometimes it takes a few days before they lose the category but it does make actually labelling any item pointless and unworkable.

Hello Andrew,

We’re sorry for the inconvenience. Could you please tell us who is your e-mail provider, how is your account set up (IMAP, …) and if you use other devices/applications to access your e-mail?

Thank you,
Maurice

To be frank I have exactly the same setup I had when using version 6 and that worked fine.

Please can you let me know how I can switch back to that.

The actual configuration is that I have a few emails for my own domains that are hosted on Dreamhost and I connect to them with IMAP plus I have a couple of gmail accounts also linked in.  I use one of the gmail accounts to hold my contacts and calendar.

This all worked fine in version 6

Perhaps the issue is that I think you added some integration of imap categories and google categories which may be what messed things up?
 

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for the details. In order for us to have a closer look, we would please ask you to go to Menu -> Tools -> Settings -> Advanced -> Logging and turn on logging for ‘IMAP’ for the relevant account. Reproduce you problem (or in this case, wait until it happens again) and turn eM Client off. Afterwards please go to a folder where the logs are saved (default location is C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\Logs), choose the log that has IMAP and relevant date in its name and send it to [email protected] with a link to this thread. We’ll examine the issue and will be able to advise further.

Thank you,
Maurice

Okay but I can’t really do that as version 7 is really of no practical use for me as it stands because of this bug, so I switched back to version 6 as that works fine for me.

I can’t believe I’m the only person using a mix of IMAP and GMAIL and having this issue but if so and no other way for you to test then I’ll stick with version 6 and continue to look for an alternative product that is going to be maintained but works as well as emClient 6