Categories disapear from emails

Hello,

I assign one or more categories to most of my email messages in inbox with preset shortcuts - e.g.+F11 for blue category to visualize that it’s OK mail. Red is critical to be solved etc. I have 6 categories in Mails - all named, coloured and each with a shortcut. This way I can quickly see, what to do first and next … So far so good.

One day, I open eM and … there are no colours in my emails = messages are NOT marked with categories… OK, it took me an hour ro restore it - yep, I went through all emails in my inbox and marked my messages with categories. Thought I had done sth wrong. (hm… I was testnig if the backup and restore works fine - ok, it works, but maybe the email attributes are lost. Categories were unchanged in the “Category manager” (Tools > Categories > Mails)

Well, today I opened eM and again - not a single message marked. I swear I DID NOTHNIG. It just happened. So, I have no track, no nothing to tell how it happened.

Q: Does anyone have any idea what to do with it? Without categories, the eM becomes almost useless to me, as I mainly use the mail client and contacts (categories in contacts are seamless).

Hi Jan, what version of eM Client are you currently using and what mail service are you using?

Thank you,
Paul.

eM Client (free) Version: 6.0.21040.0
I’m using eM for 2 accounts:

1. IMAP for account running on Gigaweb server - using categories here
  2. IMAP my Google Apps (~gmail) - not using categories (no need to)

Hi again, this might be a server issue, if your server reindexes your emails from time to time, your categories might get deleted.
The question is if this is what your server is doing. How many times did this issue occur since you’ve started using categories?

Can you please go to Tools > Settings > Advanced and turn on IMAP logging for the problematic account?

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    once the issue occurs again and you notice your categories were reset, can you please go back to the advanced settings window, click on “Send logs” and send the logs to my email [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic?

Thank you,
Paul.

1 + 2 is no problem
but I really can’t figure out, how to replicate the issue  - happened twice so far (since cca April this year when I started using the account provided by Gigaweb) without any clue why/how/by what it was caused.

I’ll keep logging until the next occurence of the trouble, which might cause a big log file, and send it then.

Many thanks for support!
Jan

Hi Jan, if this occurs in a really long time period, I do not recommend to keep the logging on, since it would just keep logging continuously creating large files, just using up your space.
However I believe that by contacting your mail service support you should be able to resolve the issue, check with them if it’s possible that the server reindexed, causing you to lose your assigned categories.

Unfortunately this is the most possible case, and only way how to avoid losing your categories is to keep a backup of your data.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

I managed to replicate the trouble. I have the log files, sending them asap. Thanks for support.
Jan

Hi Jan,
thank you for the received data, unfortunately it seems like this is a server issue, your server resets your inbox and thus removes the categories assigned to your emails and you’re then forced to reassign the categories manually.

I’m afraid that the best suggestion I have at this point is to report this issue to your Mail service provider.

Regards,
Paul