can't download mail gmail

MS Outlook no longer sends/receives my Gmail.

So I installed eM Client on a Windows 10 machine, created account, but…same problem.  No send/receive mail.  I can use Gmail’s web app via Firefox, but now both Outlook and eM won’t work.  Howcome?  Helpity?

What is the error message?

“[IMAP] An attempt to connect to failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings. Do you want to check the settings?” And that’s followed by another one saying [XMPP] failed. I have tried to check the settings, but I don’t really know what to look for.

I did notice something odd: in all the installation process, I was never asked for my gmail account password. I am guessing eM found it somewhere, but…???

Thank you for your help!

One thing to try is in the error log follow the check the settings link.  And then the fix option.

If that does not work, the settings in eM Client should be:
imap: imap.gmail.com SSL/TLS on special port (legacy) 993
xmpp: talk.google.com 5223 domain gmail.com
smtp: smtp.gmail.com SSL/TLS on special port (legacy) 465

If that is what you have and does not make a difference, close eM Client and log into your GMail account in your web browser. Then go to this address https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions Click on eM Client then click on remove access. Open eM Client and click on Refresh if it does not automatically start the sync. You will then be able to choose which GMail account to use if you have more than one, and complete the authentication process.

Well…still stuck.  I could not find the “settings link” and “fix option.”  I did the first bit, changing the settings and putting in those imap, xmpp, and smtp numbers (I also clicked on “do not use encryption.”)  No luck.  So I did the second bit, removing access and starting over.  Back to the same error message as before.

Again, I’m really troubled that I don’t ever get asked for my password. Shouldn’t a password dialogue box open?  How does it know?

Anyway…still not getting mail.  Thank you for any possible help!

Try Menu > Tools > Accounts
Click on the Diagnostics tab for your account.Click on Diagnose.
If there is a problem, you will get a fix icon.