Can't connect to outlook.com in spite of valid credentials

I am trying to set up an IMAP account with outlook.com. Although I am using definitely the right credentials, I receive messages that password or user id are not valid. Login to the web version of outlook is possible with the same credentials. What happens here?

Hello Roland,

We’re sorry for the inconvenience. Accounts from outlook.com can currently only be added via Exchange Web Services. To set your account up, go to Tools -> Accounts -> New Account, skip the “Automatic Setup” option and in the “Mail” option click on the Exchange icon. Afterwards just enter your email address in both “Email address” and “User name” fields, enter the password and then be patient while eM Client is “Obtaining server configuration records”.
If this doesn’t help, could you please post a screenshot of the messages/errors that the program displays and also the log from the tab Log in the Operations window (Menu->Tools->Operations)? Just select all with Ctrl+A and use Ctrl+V to copy it here. Also please include the number of the version that you use (Menu -> Help ->About).

Thank you,
Maurice

IMAP works well with Outlook. But I found the reason for the error in the meantime. I needed to use an application password since I had set up two factor authentication for Outlook. The regular Outlook password cannot be used in this case.

Hello Roland,

We’re glad to hear that you resolved your issue and thank you for sharing the answer to your question with the rest of the users.

Regards,
Maurice