Cannot send or receive emails.

I’ve had eM Client since December 2015 and all day today I was unable to send and receive emails. I need this for work (I work for Marx Financial) and need immediate assistance. The error message says ‘[SMTP] An attempt to connect to Marx failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings. Do you want to check the settings?’. Please help with this problem and let me know if you have any questions. Jim

Hi,  today is to same problems ,bsgr leoš 

Hi,
I have to same problems every month
bsgr leoš 

I have the same problem almost every day.

It’s ridiculous.  This happened to me last month for the first time then suddenly started working again.  Now it’s been two full days without email and I’m in sales, I’m so frustrated right now and there is no phone number to call and I have no idea what to do.  I may just have to get rid of this email.

Hello everybody,

If you have these problems, could you please try turning off the firewall/antivirus that you use? If the error stops popping up, we’d recommend adding eM Client to exceptions.
If this doesn’t help, could you please check the combination of port numbers and Security policy in the SMTP tab of the problematic account from the Account window (Menu -> Tools -> Accounts)? You can also post a screenshot for us to have a look.

Thank you,
Maurice

What are the port numbers supposed to be?

Hello Lynda,

these are the most common settings. You could also post a screenshot for us to have a look

Use SSL/TLS if available:
SMTP 25
IMAP 143
POP3 143 or 110

Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy):
SMTP: 465
IMAP: 993
POP3: 995

Regards,
Maurice

Thank you.  I’ll try those out.

This is probably related to first problem I described here: https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/t… - eM Client has no manual selection of authentication method and some servers doesn’t like to be “tested” by repeating tries.

It still takes a Looooong time to get mail.  It says “Synchronizing email” and then  “Synchronizing message flags”.  I used your settings smtp 25 and imap 143 and ssl/tls if available.  I don’t think I can use pop3 with Time Warner (my provider).  Please, can you help further?
Thank you, Lynda

Hello Lynda,

Could you please specify if the issue is that your e-mail can’t synchronize or that it takes a long time for the messages to load? Have you tried turning off the firewall/antivirus that you use? If you’re getting an error, could you please post a screenshot, open the third tab in the same window as the error titled ‘Log’ and copy its content here?

Thank you,
Maurice

Hello Peter,

It is possible to manually select the authentication method when you’re setting up the account through Mail - Other.

Regards,
Maurice

Really? Where? I even added second account now and there is NO authentication method anywhere.

I’m still working on this and maybe this has an effect on it:  I have two accounts.  Can the settings be the same for both ac counts or do I have to use a different setting for each ac count.  If you answer this then that will help me troubleshoot further.  Thank you.

Hello Peter,

Perhaps I don’t understand what you mean but if you go to the account settings in Menu -> Tools -> Accounts, you can manually set up all that is needed, including the security policy?

Regards,
Maurice

Authentication methods - I mean Plain Text, CRAM-MD5 etc. I don’t mean “server requires authentication” or turn on/off SSL. You explained that eM Client has not that possibility in my thread, so I’m surprised that here you try to convince me that is different.

And btw. how these “reply likes” works really? 9 likes about authentication method choosing possibility and nobody even try to prove that I am wrong by some screenshot? :confused:

Hello Lynda,

The account settings differ depending on the provider. We unfortunately can’t help you if we don’t have more information, could you please reply to the questions above?

Thank you,
Maurice

Yes, It just says synchronizing message flags and then comes up with this error message that I am posting a screenshot of.  Thank you for your help. ![](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1535975/RackMultipart20170112-18138-ln379s-Screenshot 3 inline.png?1484231478 “Image: https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1535975/RackMultipart20170112-18138-ln379s-Screenshot__3__inline.png?1484231478”)

Hello Lynda,

Thank you for the screenshot. Could you please also post the content of the tab called ‘Log’ from the same Operations window and a screenshot of the IMAP settings (Menu ->Tools ->Accounts->the relevant account - IMAP tab)?

Thank you,
Maurice