Can I delete email from gmail server without deleting from client

Can I delete email from gmail server without deleting from client? I would like to maintain the email locally in EM client after deleting from gmail using gmail chrome.

If you have a default IMAP Gmail account then if you delete it in eM Client it will automatically then delete it in Gmail online within a few seconds when eM Client syncs as per how IMAP works.

Also visa versa if you delete emails online in Gmail via your browser when eM Client syncs it will also show deleted in eM Client.

You can however make a copy of that email by dragging it down to “Local folders” in eM Client at the bottom left which then “will not delete” as it’s locally in the client.

If you don’t see Local folders, then go to “Menu / Settings / General” and tick the box to show local folders.

Note: Make sure then you backup eM Client regular so you don’t loose those local folder email’s being they are no longer IMAP and won’t come back from the Gmail Server if you readded your account later for any reason.

You can either manually backup via “Menu / Backup”, or setup automatic periodic backups via “Menu / Settings / General / Backup”

If you backup manually you can also click “Menu / Operations” to see when it’s done.

If copy/move whole folders to local do they disappear from main (synched) folder area? Do they impact folders on gmail server?

If copy/move whole folders to local do they disappear from main (synched) folder area? Do they impact folders on gmail server?

Yes if you “Move folders” to Local folders from your Gmail IMAP account Labels / (folders) at the top, they will then “only be available” to see in “Local folders” at the bottom.

However you can then allways drag or move them back up to “where they originally” were under your Gmail account if you want later.

I’ve done that a few times myself. Bit like when you have an eg:- old POP mail account with messages in Local folders and moving to IMAP, and you then drag messages or a folder of messages from Local folders at the bottom up to your new Gmail IMAP account.

Now copying emails or folders using the “Copy to Folder” option in eM Client from “Gmail to Local folders” is the best way to go if you want to keep emails in both places.

So all depends if you want to Move emails from Gmail to Local folders or Copy email’s to local folders.

If you are eg:- trying to save space in Gmail like when alot of peeps have free Gmail accounts, then you would use the “Move to folder” option which would then save space in Gmail and you can then still see the messages in Local folders.

I personally have a paid Gmail account so don’t need to save space at all, so I would only ever use the “Copy to folder” option as a backup of specific email messages or folder of messages to go into Local folders.

What is the "“Copy to Folder” option in eM Client from “Gmail to Local folders”’?

I couldnt find it. or maybe I misunderstood.?

What is the "“*Copy to Folder” option in eM Client.

Right click “on any icon” or “a blank space” along the toolbar along the top and click "Customize.

You can then add the “Copy to folder” option wherever you like on the toolbar.

Then if you want to copy an email from eg: Gmail IMAP to local folders at the bottom for safe keeping without deleting it from Gmail you can.