Calendar reminder keeps popping back up

I have a weekly meeting set in my calendar to get on a phone call with a group. This meeting has been in our system for several weeks now. Today all of the sudden EM Client decided it had to keep the appointment reminder on screen at all times.

What I mean by this is when I dismissed the notification it immediately popped back up. No matter what I did it kept popping back up immediately. I tried snoozing, it popped immediately back up, I tried simply pressing X and it popped back up. There was no way to dismiss this appointment via normal means. Eventually I edited the appointment and simply removed reminders completely. That seems to have gotten the reminder to go away, but this was the only way to dismiss it.

It’s as if the program simply isn’t recording the fact that I clicked on the dismiss button for some strange reason. 

This appointment is associated with google calendar. I have this account associated with many devices including my Windows Phone (Lumia Icon, running WP 8.1 DP). The only device to ignore my dismissal of the appointment notification is EM Client.

Hi Carlo, what version of eM Client are you currently using, can you check for the exact version number in Help > About?
Are you using only this account with eM Client (e.g. do you have the issue with other mail services as well)?

Thank you,
Paul.

I am having this issue as well. I looked elsewhere in the forums, but no one ever replied back to questions requesting additional details.

I have 2 gmail accounts configured in emClient, including calendars in both. Every once in a while, I am unable to dismiss the reminder. It keeps coming back until the meeting starts. I just leave the reminder window open in the background and dismiss it after the meeting starts.

I am running version 6.0.22344.0 of eM Client.

This problem doesn’t occur on all meetings. Maybe 1 in 4. I haven’t detected a pattern about what type of meetings they are or if it is the same for a recurring meeting.

I have this issue only if the meeting is a google+ event.

I just checked my event and it is not a google+ event, so that doesn’t seem to be the issue for me. It is a recurring event. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

Oh, sorry to hear that!

I waited a couple of weeks to see if this specific recurring event keeps having this problem and it does. So it seems to be something to do with the event. Below is the content of the .ics file (I scrubbed the subject and participants). Maybe that will be helpful in reproducing the issue.

BEGIN:VCALENDARPRODID:-//eM Client/6.0.23181.0
VERSION:2.0
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:Eastern Standard Time
X-EM-DISPLAYNAME:(UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
BEGIN:STANDARD
TZNAME:Eastern Standard Time
DTSTART:00010101T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:-0400
TZOFFSETTO:-0500
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;UNTIL=20061231T000000Z;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=10
END:STANDARD
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
TZNAME:Eastern Daylight Time
DTSTART:00010101T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:-0500
TZOFFSETTO:-0400
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;UNTIL=20061231T000000Z;BYDAY=1SU;BYMONTH=4
END:DAYLIGHT
BEGIN:STANDARD
TZNAME:Eastern Standard Time
DTSTART:20070101T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:-0400
TZOFFSETTO:-0500
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYDAY=1SU;BYMONTH=11
END:STANDARD
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
TZNAME:Eastern Daylight Time
DTSTART:20070101T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:-0500
TZOFFSETTO:-0400
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYDAY=2SU;BYMONTH=3
END:DAYLIGHT
END:VTIMEZONE
BEGIN:VEVENT
X-GOOGLE-EXTPROP;NAME=“sunrise:place”;TYPE=SHARED:{“name”:“Skype”}
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;UNTIL=20151016T000000Z
DTSTART;TZID=“Eastern Standard Time”:20150820T090000
DTEND;TZID=“Eastern Standard Time”:20150820T100000
UID:db316d83-ba8e-48ea-950e-770ef98474ff
LAST-MODIFIED:20150903T131646Z
DTSTAMP:20150812T141001Z
CREATED:20150812T140901Z
SUMMARY:Summary Removed
LOCATION:Skype
ATTENDEE;CN=“Attendee1”;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=A
 CCEPTED;RSVP=TRUE:mailto:[email protected]
ATTENDEE;CN=“Attendee2”;CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PAR
 TSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE:mailto:[email protected]
ORGANIZER;CN=“Organizer”:mailto:[email protected]
STATUS:CONFIRMED
BEGIN:VALARM
ACTION:DISPLAY
DESCRIPTION:Alarm
X-MOZ-LASTACK:20150910T124900Z
ACKNOWLEDGED:20150910T124900Z
TRIGGER;RELATED=START:-PT10M
END:VALARM
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

Hello Raphael, if you’re having issues with the application, please make sure to enable logging in your application settings under Tools > Settings > Advanced and enable CalDAV (or GData) logging for the problematic account. Make sure you’re running the latest release of eM Client (6.0.23181.0) and check if the issue persist.

Perform a calendar repair on the calendar folder by right clicking the folder in the Left pane and select Properties > Repair and click on the repair button, this will resynchronise the calendar with the server. If the issue reoccurs after repair, please restart the application and go back to the advanced settings window to submit the logging data.

Submit the logging data to my work mail [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic for more information about this issue, we’ll inspect the logging data and try to improve the behaviour for future release.

Regards,

I found the common thread in my issues. It is only events from one person that is causing the issues. I asked him what app he uses to create/send events and he uses Sunrise Calendar (https://calendar.sunrise.am/). He uses both the iPhone and web app versions of Sunrise.

Hopefully you’ll be able to reproduce the issue by sending events through Sunrise.

Hi Raphael,
thank you for clarifying this issue, we’ll try to look into it for future releases.

Best regards,
Olivia