Calendar can't deal with international work hours

I’ve been using Google Calendar casually, but since moving to eM Client I’ve started working with it more, because the application makes it so convenient. But I have a problem with the em Client implementation, and perhaps you can suggest a work-around.

I live in New York City, but work for a company in Japan. My work day is typically from around 11:30 am until around 5:00 am. But the calendar doesn’t like this. It insists that my end time must “end later than my start time”, not realizing that my end time is the following day. If it’s not possible to get around this at present, I hope you’ll consider it for a future fix. Thanks!

Hi,

well that is normal that you can’t work from later to sooner time… To be hones I do not understand why anyone would put time like this that I am starting at 11:30 at my place but end at 5 their time.

Anyway we do not plan to change this behaviour, but ion 6th version there is possibility to set timezones more properly in calendar events.

with regards
Jan

You are not understanding the nature of the question. I don’t end at 5 their time, but 5 MY time.

To make it simple, let’s say I work the “night shift” - I work from dinner hour to breakfast hour the next day. The calendar cannot understand that. It only accepts jobs that work on conventional hours. That is not feasible.

To repeat, my typical work day goes from around 11:30 am until about 5:00 am the next day US Eastern Time. I sleep from 5:00 am until 11:30.

eM Client’s calendar cannot accommodate this. It makes no sense for me to change the time zone because I am based in New York. But even if I were to change the time zone from Eastern US to Japan Standard Time, my workday (in Japan) would be 1:30 am until 7:00 pm the next day, and eM Client would not understand that either. It ONLY UNDERSTANDS a typical 9~5 workday/daylight schedule.

I am suggesting that the whole workday scheme be flexible. I don’t think you’re able to do that, so in my case the calendar will always fail to work. I will live with it.

Please do think about making that function more flexible, however. Thanks for your reply.

to be honest all I understand from this are two things.

1. you want to have set two different timezones in eM Client calendar.

or/and

1. eM Client does not allow you to make event over two days which is a bug.

If I have understood it bad again, can you make screenshot of your issue and post it here? I believe that there will be simple solution to this once I understand it completely.

with regards
Jan

Of course, thank you! It is really much simpler than you might think.

Most people wake up at, say 5:30 or 6:00 am, right? They work throughout a normal day and go to bed around 11:30 or midnight, get six hours of sleep, and start again, right? That is typical. You can see that kind of day in one image.

I wake up at 11:00 am, work throughout the day and into the night, and go to bed around 5:00 am. Same number of hours of sleep, but I do it between 5:00 am and 11:00 am. If I try to put this normal (for me) day into the calendar, see the message it gives me?

I tried setting “work day hours” to 24, but that appeared to do nothing in this case.

This is not the end of the world, just somewhat annoying.

Hello,

I finally fully understand what do you mean, anyway we are not going to chagne this behaviour. Work days are designed as “in one day” only.

Anyway this still looks to me like work day for you starts in New York and Ends in Japan which is rather weird to have it set like it.
So you can set it to one timezone only and then set events in calendar with proper timezone as these “work day” settings are local only anyway.

with regards
Jan