Bug report in adresses for contacts

I think there is a bug in the addresse (physical) of contacts.

(1) generate new contact
(2) go to addresses and fill only one field eg street.
(3) save contact

-> Bug: eM-Client fills out empty fields with the field names eg: State/County -> “State/County:”

I also noted that for some contacts all field values are filled in the first field.

eM-Client 8.2.1237

I cannot personally replicate that issue using the same eM Client version with a eg: Gmail account , Live account or Local IMAP account “New Contact” Address. Might be something to do with your specific email account.

Whos your email account with. Also is it a POP, IMAP or Exchange account. Also has this problem just started recently or has this always been the case.

Thanks for the fast replay!

It happens for all my accounts: local folder, CardDav (nextcloud) & gmail

I looked at other contacts, and I think most of them have no messed up addresses …

When I try to replicate the issue, after only filling in the street, I get the following warning:


I choose Yes and the contact is saved.

When I open the contact, the only field that has data is the address line 1, exactly as I entered it.

I tried this with Google Contacts, IceWarp CardDAV, and local. All the same result.

For me this happens:

I get no warning message and I’m using Windows 10

So you are entering other data then, like the contact name?

Name -> test
Street -> test

after saving, the other fields are filled

Still not able to reproduce it.

There are two things you can try; uninstall/reinstall eM Client, or start with a blank database, and we can see if there is a difference in either case.


  1. If you can manage it make a backup using Menu > Backup. If not, skip this step.
  2. Close and uninstall eM Client, making sure NOT to delete the database folder when asked. That will ensure all your data and settings are there later.
  3. If it exists, delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client folder.
  4. Download and install the latest version from here: https://www.emclient.com/dist/latest/setup.msi
  5. Restart eM Client.
  6. Reproduce the issue saving to Local Folders.

Start with a blank database:

  1. Go to Menu > Settings > General > Storage and change the database location to a new folder. Make a note of the current location so you can come back to it later.
  2. Restart eM Client.
  3. Cancel any setup windows.
  4. Reproduce the issue saving to Local Folders.
  5. If the result is the same, go to Menu > Settings > General > Storage and change the database location back to what it was, and restart eM Client.

Thanks a lot for your help!

The reinstallation didn’t help, but the new database folder did the trick :slight_smile:

I was able to import the backup, but now the same problem is back.

The data for most accounts are stored on the servers and I can sync them into a fresh data base except the stuff in the archives.

Yes, so the issue is with the database, not the application.

You can restore a backup, then export your Archives using Menu > File > Export > Export emails to eml.

Then start with a blank database again and import the exported archive data, then setup your email accounts.


Thanks a lot for the quick help.