BUG: Attachments are added when email is sent, not when they are added to the email, resulting in potentially wrong attachment contents

If I create an email and add an attachment (say a log file), then while the email is open, I go into Windows Explorer and change the contents of the file, then send the email, the email’s attachment contains the new contents, not what I wanted to add!!

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create new email
  2. Add a file as an attachment, e.g. C:\log.txt
  3. Change log.txt to have different contents
  4. Send email

The received email will erroneously have the modified log.txt file instead of the original log.txt file.

This behaviour is a bug and is different to all other email programs.

It would be great if this can be fixed please as it’s been causing me all sorts of problems!

Thanks,
Richard

Yes, I can confirm this behavior, but I wonder if it is intended behavior?

If you have a Pro License, you can open a support ticket for this.

? Why would you intend to do something so stupid, counter-intuitive and against all industry standards?

Also I’m not buying a Pro license just to report a bug!!

I said I wonder if it is intended, not that it is intended!

But it does seems useful in certain contexts, at least to me, and I send a lot of log files. If I start an email and add the attachment, it may be some time before I get to finish it. Then when I do send it, it would not contain the up-to-date file if I was using an “industry standard” app. Adding the attachment just before send would have to be the solution for me in that case, but I tend to work from the top down, and the attachment icon is right up top, so I add it before I compose the message. Otherwise I would probably forget it. That’s just me; obviously I am counter-intuitive.  I can’t say that I noticed this bug before, but I will definitely make use of it from now on. :slight_smile:

You agreed when you registered your Free License that you will not have direct access to eM Client support, so unfortunately you can’t report your bug that way. Sorry.

I have submitted it on your behalf (ref 71230), and will keep you updated.

Thanks Gary and apologies for coming over a bit grumpy before!  This bug had just lost me a load of work.  I agree that I don’t expect a quick fix if I’m using the free version, it just makes no sense to ignore bugs reported by non-Pro users.

Now that I know about this behaviour, I’ll have to try and remember to work around it.

Cheers
Richard

If you save the message as a draft (Ctrl+S) it will embed the attachment in the message, so any later changes to the original will not be in the draft attachment.

An extra step until, or if , the behavior is changed, but that might work for you.

Good tip, thank you!

So there was a comment made on the ticket from eM Client Support. 

"This behavior is a feature as eM Client is not storing local copy of your attachments(which is the fix we made based on past criticism), it reduces the space eM Client needs and eliminates the need to create local copy of the attached file.
Unfortunately the use-case described by Richard is not exactly intended however, we will make further research and try to come up with alternative solution to attachment handling."

Their comment seems to disregard that once a draft is saved, the attachment is embedded in the message, thus does not follow their goal of saving space. :slight_smile:

Yes, it seems to ignore that!  It also goes against every other email system I’ve ever used.  And since when did space matter that much on a modern PC…

Thanks for letting me know Gary!
Richard

I suppose having the drafts folder on an IMAP server could slow things down a bit with large attachments

But otherwise I thought the logic a bit weak relating to saving space. Once you have sent the message, the file is embedded in the sent message anyway, so what difference does it make when it happens? 

Exactly, it’s nonsense - an excuse for a poorly-specified feature implementation…

I like to add some another view of the same (i suppose) problem.
When You drag&drop attachments from one message (A) to new one (B) and then send, it works perfectly.
But if you move message A to another folder, then new mail (B) attachments will be empty files when send and there will be no error whatsoever.

I like to add some another view of the same (i suppose) problem.
When You drag&drop attachments from one message (A) to new one (B) and then send, it works perfectly.
But if you move message A to another folder, then new mail (B) attachments will be empty files when send and there will be no error whatsoever.

Yes, because the attachment is not added to the message until you send, or a draft is saved. By moving message A, before you send message B, you are effectively removing the source.

And then it is even worse situation than OP, because You have no idea whether attachment will be stored properly before sending/saving.
If You remove file from disk, You’ll get error message, but in this (similar of course) problem there is none.

Sylwester, if you have a Pro License, please open a support ticket.

But as a workaround until it is fixed, you can save the message after dragging the attachment. Once the attachment is embedded, if you move message A, it will not affect the attachment in message B.

Thanks, but i do not have Pro license. I have one long standing bug to fix (proper threading with different subjects) which prevents me from buying license (i have to use Thunderbird as secondary backup to allow find previous message in thread if someone changed subject).

Saving is a workaround, but i have to remember and in hurry i often forgot it and then get disaster in attachments.

I opened a ticket as I mentioned above. I will just add you comments about dragging attachments.