Blocking auto download of external content

I blocked automatic download of all content like attached images

So if I read a mail, I see at the top something like “Download pictures… To preserve privacy, external content was not downloaded”.

So far so good. But it seems to cause 2 problems

1. If I REPLY on this, suddenly the images ARE downloaded. This is bad, suddenly my privacy is not relevant anymore?

2. I can often not SAVE mails, saying that not all content was downloaded. I think this might be related to this. If I click save, then the TEXT should be saved. It seems obvious that I’m not asking to save blocked content.

This is the correct behavior. You are replying or forwarding the message, so all the content will be download to include in the sent message. Otherwise how can they be in the message the recipient gets if they are not downloaded?

When you save a message, the original full message in eml format is saved. That includes all headers and text, as well as embedded or attached media. It is not just saving selected text.

It’s not the correct behaviour. If I said I don’t want to download content, then don’t. I can click on the download button if I think it’s ok to download.

Otherwise how can they be in the message the recipient gets if they are not downloaded

Obviously they should NOT get into the reply. Why would I reply with content that they already have in the first place?

Also, if I click on reply this does not mean I’m going to SEND the reply. Usually I just need it because I need to copy the mail into another system.

When you save a message, the original full message in eml format is saved. That includes all headers and text, as well as embedded or attached media. It is not just saving selected text.

That then explains the chronic problems I have with this.

If I save a mail and I did not download the embedded media, then I obviously want to save only the mail WITHOUT the attached media.

How can I be sure about my privacy with all these loopholes?

See also Save message fails. No operations can be performed on it

for the related problems I have with saving messages.

No, it is correct behavior. If you have the original message quoted in the reply or forward, then the original message will be there. It won’t be an edited version of the original, it will be a copy, in FULL.

There is no point on replying if you do not intend to reply. The wrong tool, no matter how creatively used, is still the wrong tool. But even so, if you want to copy the message to another system using reply, then this will copy the message in FULL to the other system. That is what copy means.

Again, this is a misunderstanding. If you want to save the message, then the FULL message will be saved. What is the point of saving the full message if it does not include the full content?

If you do not want to save attachments, you can delete them from the received message before you save it.

I don’t know why you say several times that I’m WRONG and the program is right. I’m just trying to do what needs to be done. Please be more helpful and instead tell me how to fix the issue.

First and most important, this is disregarding my privacy setting and my expectations. I always expect my privacy settings to be respected. Privacy has much higher priority than any forward or save button. It seems exactly reverse at this moment. How can I tell this program to NEVER EVER download attached stuff, unless I explicitly allow/download

There is no point on replying if you do not intend to reply

Another variant of “You’re wrong”. Please tell me instead how to copy, and also save, the message without contents. And also, how to do this without being connected to the internet.

Can I do all above without directly deleting the attachments? I may still need them later on but I may first have to forward the message to someone else to check.

You can’t.

The privacy setting does not pertain to embedded or attached content because that is already received on the server. Rather it specifically prevents anything not already in the message from downloading or being followed; so dynamic content and other links. If the attachment is dangerous, your anti-virus/anti-malware application will protect you from that.

eM Client does not have a setting to prevent downloading the message from the server. The offline option is a kind of loophole, but when you open the message, the content that is already part of the message and has been received on the server will be displayed. If you don’t want to display a message, an email client is not the correct application to not do that with.

You can’t.

Please see any dictionary for the definition of copy. I think you are looking to selectively save content, which eM Client does not offer. But that is not copy.

No, you can’t.

If you copy the message, you copy the message. That means attachments and embedded content included.

One possibility is there that might work for you.

If you choose to view or reply to the message as plain text, that will not display or include any embedded or attached content in the replies.

So replying to a message in plain text will not include the content you are trying to avoid. Forwarding is a little different, and all embedded and attached media will be included as attachments.

Saving a message viewed as plain text will not affect the content being in the saved message, because the eml will be the original message, so have everything included as received on your server.

1 Like

Thanks!

Yes for clarity, I’m talking about links to external contents, not stuff directly embedded with the email. I’m not used to the exact names for these different things, so sorry for possible confusion

Please see any dictionary for the definition of copy. I think you are looking to selectively save content, which eM Client does not offer. But that is not copy.

I’m looking for a way to save just the internal content. So without the external content. It can save hyperlinks but not download the hyperlinks

I think you are saying that this is possible.

But I have the impression that external content is blocking my save actions and also appears when I do a reply.

That plain text option is definitely a big step n the right direction. Thanks for that!

Give it try and see how that works out. Unfortunately not displaying messages as HTML means you may miss some things, or otherwise have ugly arranged content.

Yes, saving the message that has a link to an external image, doesn’t save the image, just the link. Replying to the message will load the image, though the sent message does not contain the image, just the link.

Yes, saving the message that has a link to an external image, doesn’t save the image, just the link. Replying to the message will load the image, though the sent message does not contain the image, just the link.

But why do I then keep getting the “message was not completely downloaded” when I try to save? Is this about something else? Or will that be solved by switching to plain text?

Would replying also be based on the plain text version or would that still trigger download of externals?

Replying to a message in plain text will not include any embedded content. If there is linked content, then the actual links could be visible in the reply, but not the linked content. Linked content is never included regardless of the message format.

Yes, maybe some cache corruption. Right-click on the folder that contains the message and choose Properties > Repair. If it is a Gmail or Gsuite account, right-click on the All Mail folder instead. Once the repair is complete, try the save again.

Yes, maybe some cache corruption. Right-click on the folder that contains the message and choose Properties > Repair. If it is a Gmail or Gsuite account, right-click on the All Mail folder instead. Once the repair is complete, try the save again.

I tried repair. Multiple times. Both on inbox and on my account name. But the problem persists. I keep getting "An error occured when saving the message. Saving to file “XXX.eml” failed due to the following error: “Message was not completely downloaded and thus no operations can be performed on it”. However I have set the format to text only and I can read the entire message. BTW the message does NOT look like plain text, I see various fonts being used.

A more thorough approach will be to remove that account from eM Client, then add it again. That will resync all the data with the server and the Save As might work.

Before removing an account from eM Client, always make a backup using Menu > Backup.

I connected to the network and clicked “Refresh”. After that I could save this message. But that is only a temporary fix, the problem will reoccur soon. sometimes it seems I need to restart em client. Also this workaround does not work when I’m not on the network.

Does it then still make sense to remove the account? I’m hesitant because I may need assistence for adding the account which is hard to get these days as everyone is out of office.

I don’t get what this message is trying to tell me. I can clearly read the message in the em client. It does not look “incomplete” and I just want to save it as shown by em client.

I think the best option, as a Pro License user, is to open a support ticket with eM Client. They will be able to analyze your logs and determine what is causing the problem.