Backup starts to create zip file then fails

I have the backup folder set to a drive with ample space. When I manually go to File/Backup, I can see the zip file initiated (long number followed by .zip.incomplete), but then that file disappears at the same time that the “scrolling” backup line in em client goes away. I believe that this has been a problem for some time, as I don’t think that the automatic periodic backup has created any files either.

I get no error messages of any kind. I have tried setting the backup folder to different locations with no luck. I have restarted em client numerous times, and have rebooted, none of this has helped.

BTW I’m using version 7.2.40748.0

Might be a good time to upgrade eMC!

Frankly, I’m a little nervous about doing so, given what I’ve read elsewhere on the forums, and that except for this problem I’m happy with it, and don’t want to change unnecessarily. I feel like I remember that I didn’t like something that got changed. That said, if you don’t mind taking a moment and telling me what you think of the current version I might consider it.

I’ll be moving everything over to a new computer in the next week or so, so that might be a good time to upgrade.

If the backup is being made to an external device, change the location back to …\Documents\eM Client\ then try the backup again. Go to Menu > Operations where you can monitor the progress. When if fails go to the log tab and find the error.

eM Client needs the same amount of space free on the disk as the database uses, in order to make the backup. Your filesystem also needs to support large files. If it is limited 4GB because you are using FAT, and the backup exceeds that, it can’t create the file.

Thank-you for your suggestions. The backup is to a local virtual NTFS virtual drive with 30 gig of space and the zip file would only take up about 600 meg.
Here is the error file, hopefully you’ll find it meaningful:

11:56:19 AM Database backup: Started
11:56:20 AM Database backup: Processing account [email protected]
11:57:16 AM Database backup: Failed
11:57:18 AM System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException (0x80004005): SQL logic error or missing database
11:57:18 AM at MailClient.Storage.Data.BlobStream.Create(IDbConnection connection, String databaseName, String tableName, String columnName, Int64 rowId, Boolean readOnly)
11:57:18 AM at MailClient.Storage.Data.DatabaseCopyTool.CopyContents(Table table, Boolean sortDesc)
11:57:18 AM at MailClient.Storage.Data.DatabaseCopyTool.CopyTableData(Table table)
11:57:18 AM at MailClient.Storage.Data.DatabaseCopyTool.CopyInternal(String specificTable, Boolean copyIndexesViewsAndTriggers)
11:57:18 AM at MailClient.Storage.Data.DatabaseCopyTool.CopySchema(String schema)
11:57:18 AM at MailClient.Storage.Data.DbRepository`1.Backup(String dataStoreLocation, SQLiteConnection sourceConnection, SQLiteConnection destinationConnection, CancellationToken token, TransferredSizeUpdated parentProgressTracker)
11:57:18 AM at MailClient.Storage.Backup.RepositoryBackupTool.DoLiveBackup(DataStore targetDataStore, CancellationToken token, TransferredSizeUpdated parentProgressTracker)
11:57:18 AM at MailClient.Accounts.ItemRepositories.DoLiveBackup(DataStore targetDataStore, CancellationToken token, TransferredSizeUpdated progressTracker)
11:57:18 AM at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.DoLiveBackup(DataStore targetDataStore, CancellationToken token, AccountNameChanged accountChangeTracker, TransferredSizeUpdated percentTracker)
11:57:18 AM at MailClient.Scheduler.Tasks.BackupTask.PerformBackup(CancellationToken token, String tempDirectory)
11:57:18 AM at MailClient.Scheduler.Tasks.BackupTask.DoWork(IWin32Window owner, CancellationToken token, IScheduler scheduler, ReportProgress progressReporter)
11:57:18 AM at MailClient.Scheduler.Scheduler.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.b__0(Object state)

The backup is to a local virtual NTFS virtual drive

Can you try setting the backup location to a (non virtual) internal local drive & see if it works.

Ps Also suggest to hide / blank out your email address in your post above for privacy reasons.

1 Like

Thanx for the heads up on the email address. I just changed it.
And I misspoke, I meant to say logical drive not virtual. It is local and internal.