Backup restore

That means that the backup file contains no data. How did you make the backup?

With em client. menu - file - backup. Zipped file is above 400mb

Can you post a screenshot of the error you get when you try to restore from that file.

i dont get any error… simply, the program ask me to select the folder where take the backup. I try with zippend and unzipped file/folder and from different location.

But every folder i select, he ask me again to select a folder

The restore function needs the original zip file created by the backup. All these folders you have extracted will not work with the restore. Delete them and just keep the zip files.

If the backup was made with version 6, and you are restoring on version 7, it will not work.

What version of eM Client did you use to make the backup?

i Try to restore also with the .zip file.
I dont remember the previous versione of backup file, but i always keep em client updated, so i think it was the last version. But i can try to install the version 6.0…

6 will not work with 7. Open the backup zip file and see the manifest.xml file. Open that and it will tell you what version you used to make the backup.

What version of eM Client are you using?

2019-10-11 22.06
eM Client
MailClient

Actually i have installed 7.2.36908.0

Thank you for the support

OK, what you can try is to uninstall eM Client, then download and install 7.2.34062 from the Release History. Then try the restore again. 

I have not looked at 7.2.36908 yet. Maybe there is some issue with restore on that version.

Ok thank you, i will try just now.

Hi, after installing the previous version, i try to restore the backup file (zip) but em client always ask me the storage folder for backup. 

So i have deleted all file in c:/users/account/appdata/roaming/em client and pasted the whole file in the backup zip and now i have all my email and account back.

Thank you for your help!!! I love you!

ok so I am having the same problem on a Mac. I looked at the manifest xml  file and my backup app version is 7.2.35700. Is there an older version I should be downloading to open this with? (it does not open now). this is as far as I get with 7.2.35700.

problem solved, I deleted all the previous files (like mentioned above) and added my restore and e-mails appeared. thanks 

I tried deleting all files in the Roaming>… as described above, and my eM disappeared entirely.
The way that worked for me was to make a “normal” backup in the new version (on 2nd computer), then delete it (stored in Docs>eM Client) and replace it with the Backup.zip file from the 1st computer! (Surprisingly, it does read the .zip file).

The support in this forum for the most part is useless with “best guesses” and self-absorbed like-minded “experts” as if they are on Parler and practice sophism.

I have the same issue as you. Tutorials simply say copy the files over.

My 30 day trial is up. I’m going back to Mozilla Thunderbird. Bye.

Sorry for your experience @Hmm888. This is a user supported forum, and for the most part offers support from fellow users. For technical assistance from the company you will need to purchase a Pro License.

Maybe I can help with restoring your backup though.

Where is the backup zip file created by eM Client located on your computer?

If it is not automatically listed when you begin the restore, you can browse for it by clicking on the browse icon.

Can you give that a go and see if it works.

Having the same issue. I can see both the zipped files and an unzipped folder of one but eM Client only sees the unzipped one and says that the selected folder does not contain any backup files.

@Steve_King

The backup.zip files in your screenshot on the right window should definitely be able to be restored.

Try first coping those three .zip backup files to your local c:\user\steve\documents\eM Client profile folder. Then in eM Client go to “Menu / Settings / General / Backup” and set the backup location to the same eM Client profile folder and save eM Client settings.

Then close and reopen eM Client and click “Menu / File / Restore” and it should then being up those 3 backup.zip files & be able to restore.

In the end I had to get service agent to do it. Don’t know why it didn’t work on our (mine or their) earlier attempts but way more complex than it should have been.

Steve