Backup restore

I can’t restore backup. Em client can’t find backup directory. My backups are stored as zip foldersand Em client can’t recognize them. What do I need to do to restore backup?

Hi Aleksander,

Please make sure that the Backup file is stored in the folder according to the path set in Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Backup.

Russel

Hi Russel, I add backup file to folder according to the path set in Menu-Tools-Settings-General-Backup. But I still get a message “Selectes folder does not contain any backup files”.

1 Like

I have the same problem. After formatting, emclient can’'t recognize the backup file. I try to move them in different folder but doesn’t work. Have you solved the problem? Thank u

1 Like

It really does not matter where the backup file is stored, as you can select the location during the restore. It is best if it is on a local hard disk though.

What is the error you get when you try to restore?

Hi, thank you for the interest. I dont get any error, simply the client doesn’t recognized any backup folder where is located the backup file. I try also to unzip the file, but doesn’t recognize the backup folder and ask me again where backup ar located.

I try in the same local hd.

You don’t want to unzip the file. It should just read the zip as it is.

If you want to do it manually, close eM Client, then unzip the backup file to C:\Users_yourusername_\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ replacing the destination files.

I try your way, but when i open em client doesn’t see any of my account/email (i have more than 10 account and +5k of email). i replaced the whole destination with the unziped file… i try to reinstall em client but nothings… i will try with another computer… i dont know what happen, i cant restore my file :frowning:

1 Like

That means that the backup file contains no data. How did you make the backup?

With em client. menu - file - backup. Zipped file is above 400mb

Can you post a screenshot of the error you get when you try to restore from that file.

i dont get any error… simply, the program ask me to select the folder where take the backup. I try with zippend and unzipped file/folder and from different location.

But every folder i select, he ask me again to select a folder

The restore function needs the original zip file created by the backup. All these folders you have extracted will not work with the restore. Delete them and just keep the zip files.

If the backup was made with version 6, and you are restoring on version 7, it will not work.

What version of eM Client did you use to make the backup?

i Try to restore also with the .zip file.
I dont remember the previous versione of backup file, but i always keep em client updated, so i think it was the last version. But i can try to install the version 6.0…

6 will not work with 7. Open the backup zip file and see the manifest.xml file. Open that and it will tell you what version you used to make the backup.

What version of eM Client are you using?

2019-10-11 22.06
eM Client
MailClient

Actually i have installed 7.2.36908.0

Thank you for the support

OK, what you can try is to uninstall eM Client, then download and install 7.2.34062 from the Release History. Then try the restore again. 

I have not looked at 7.2.36908 yet. Maybe there is some issue with restore on that version.

Ok thank you, i will try just now.

Hi, after installing the previous version, i try to restore the backup file (zip) but em client always ask me the storage folder for backup. 

So i have deleted all file in c:/users/account/appdata/roaming/em client and pasted the whole file in the backup zip and now i have all my email and account back.

Thank you for your help!!! I love you!