Avast says my mail_data.dat file has a virus. I can't delete this, isn't this my main email file?

I get notified all the time from Avast that my mail_data.dat file has a virus. I recently ran a full scan and it still identifies it as having a virus. I can’t delete this file as it is my main mail database. Is it safe to let Avast clean it?

Hello,

no it is not safe to delete this file as it will corrupt your eM Client installation.

If possible for you Close eM Client, backup whole folder “eM client” in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming, after that delete it or move it to another place and run it again, we need to know if Avast will inform about virus again with clean database.

if this will not help send me that mail_data.dat file to [email protected] together with this topic’s address: https://discourse.emclient.com/emclient/to…

regards
Jan

Thanks John, followed your instructions and Avast did not see a virus in a clean database. However, when I moved my old one back and ran a virus check it is still saying it has a virus. I have attached a screen shot of the virus report (in email). I am afraid to use the clean option as it may damage my database file. It may be a false positive since the mail client seems to be operating normally. I can send my DB file if necessary.

Hello,

I have responded to you via emails, but to inform others. This issue is best solved by exporting data you need by File - Export, and then deleting database (you will loose your data which are not synchronized to server).

of course you can try to delete this virus but it might corrupt your database anyway, because you cant delete only one file from it. And we can’t predict what will happen after Avast or other antiviruses will clean that file.

best to prevent this is make backups frequently and also make frequent virus scans.

regards
Jan