Automatic Updates?

Since I have never seen an auto update even when using V7 and now V8, I opened a support ticket for this to be looked into. I have a lifetime license so its not free. Unfortunately I do not have access to license manager.

I need to understand the mechanism on how EMC goes out to check for new updates. For all I know it could be my firewall

All Pro License users have access to the License Manager. Just use your license credentials. If you do not have them, click on the password reset option.

Its been quite a while since I logged into it and now its asking for a user group…Not something I have or ever had to the best of my knowledge.

The user group is User. Note the capital U.

That should have been included in the details sent you if you used the password reset link on the License Manager page.

OK I was able to get in and it showed normal for updates. So it was not set to disable. It also showed version 8.0 as active so it should have known that I needed 8.1.

I updated everything so lets see if the next release shows a notification.

I have been using the Free Version 8 since it was released and have never received any update notifications. Each time I check I always get the message that no updates are available, when in fact there are updates.

How can we get this fixed?

@Greg_Hines To check for the latest updates for the free version anytime, go to the release history page. Release History | eM Client That’s what i’ve always done.

@cyberzork - That’s what I usually do too. However shouldn’t the auto update work so you don’t have to do this?

@Greg_Hines Yes the auto update works in the recent versions of EMClient.

However you don’t always get every interim .X update version when you click check for update. That’s why I manually just go and download the interim updates and install them.

I have always presumed it’s because the company doesn’t want to automatically push every interim update to users incase there is issues which would make sense to me.

Yes, this is the reason why we push updates gradually. eM Client is a really complex product and some issues may happen just for a specific group of users (for example using a specific server provider) and this approach allow us to react on that really quickly and limit potential harm to the smallest user group possible. This is quite a standard approach among software companies nowadays. And there is always an option to be notified about these new updates and install them manually or set an update mode to “Testing” in License manager (or on request for free users).

2 Likes

We’ve found an issue in our update system based on user complaints that causes automatic updates really might had been broken for some users. It shouldn’t be an issue to a major part of our users, but we’ve identified some users that might had been experiencing this problem. However now it should be fixed so please try again now if you experienced automatic updates issue in the past.

1 Like

Although previous posts suggest this problem has been fixed, I believe it still seems to be happening on the Free version. I have been on v8.2.14** since I started a few months ago & don’t think I have had an update. I note comments about “checking for updates”, but can’t find that option anywhere in Menu/Settings or Tools or Help.
I checked eM Client Update History & have downloaded/updated latest version 8.2.1659 manually.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, I see it there now. But I am fairly sure it wasn’t there on previous version. Must have come in on new version 8.2.1659!

That has always been there.

But new updates are not pushed to all users at the same time. So even though a new update may appear in the Release History, it will not be seen when checking for updates within eM Client. Once we do make it available, eM Client should prompt you to update without you having to check.

Has always been there for as long as I have used eMC. There was a time when the option did not work!

Yes, there was one or two 7.2.x releases where the check for update did not function.

I believe the issue existed well into v8 as well…

I wonder if that wasn’t perhaps to do with some specific user accounts, rather than the software release?

Either way, both have been fixed. :relieved:

Now, if you click on Check for Update, or just let the application check on its own, you will get the latest release that is set for all users. That doesn’t mean you will get the most recent that is listed in the Release History, as these releases are not pushed to all users at the same time.

Exactly… the response at that time was vague