auto backup fail

It’s not “auto backup” if I have to manually close eM Client!!!

Can you explain how a “manual backup” can close the eM Client 5 program and successfully complete a backup and the “auto backup” feature fails every time it tries to backup? Why can’t the “auto backup” also close eM Client “automatically” in order to backup?

Hello,

I don’t understand your issue. You say that when it is autobackup time eM Client closes? But that is how it is designed to prevent any changes to database while working with it, because it would cause broken database and loss of all data.

regards
Jan

Hi John,

Your response is not quite right. There are actually 2 issues here.

1.- Auto backup should be a hot backup, running in the background whilst emClient is open. As far as I can see emClient uses SQLite to manage data storage (sqlite3.dll in install and loaded image). SQLite has an online backup API, so it is quite possible to do hot backup.

2.- If you are not going to do a hot backup then you can at least automate the process, i.e. you get the backup prompt, hit OK then it will close down emClient, do the backup and then restart emClient at the end. At normal program close it can prompt for any pending schedules backups.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Hello,

1. no we do not plan any changes to current system.

2. this is by design, it helps to prevent any loss of work.

regards
Jan

Thanks for the response Jan.

I’m not sure where the “prevent any loss of work” comes in though. The user is prompted to do things and will get the usual “want to save this mail” and things like that, and then when the backup is over emClient automatically starts again.

Regards,

Hello,

I see your point, but you are obviously advanced user, many of our users are not skilled in computer enough to make this realization that something is going on. That is why we need to make it this obvious.

Database tend to broke if you do anything with it while backup. And it can cause problems for people that rely on eM Client.

I hope that you understand this.

regards
Jan