Authentication problems with IMAP and Kerio Connect - Need Plain Password Authentication

I’m having difficulty adding a Kerio Connect email account to my eM Client. I have read several threads about work arounds on the Kerio side about making changes to accommodate the lack of Plain Password Authentication, however, that won’t work in my case. In my situation, Kerio Connect is tied to Active Directory for a a domain, so Kerio doesn’t do the password authentication, it just passes it along to the AD controller, thus the need for plain password authentication.

I have tried everything I possibly can think of to work around for this issue, but I’m out of ideas.

* OK IMAP4rev1 server ready
A0 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 IDLE ACL LITERAL+ UIDPLUS QUOTA ID SORT ANNOTATE ANNOTATEMORE STATUS-COUNTERS UNSELECT LISTEXT NAMESPACE XLIST STARTTLS AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5
A0 OK CAPABILITY completed
A1 STARTTLS
A1 OK Ready to start TLS
A2 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 IDLE ACL LITERAL+ UIDPLUS QUOTA ID SORT ANNOTATE ANNOTATEMORE STATUS-COUNTERS UNSELECT LISTEXT NAMESPACE XLIST AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5
A2 OK CAPABILITY completed
A3 ID (“name” “eM Client” “version” “5.0.18661.0” “GUID” “1”)
* ID (“name” “Kerio Connect”)
A3 OK ID completed
A4 AUTHENTICATE CRAM-MD5

• PDEyODAuMTM4MDY2MTA0OEBjYWxlbmRhci5iZWVoaXZlLm5ldD4=
    bmljay5maWVsZGluZyA2Y2U3YmYzYzdiYzQyYTNlNmJiM2M4MTk4NjIwMjY2Nw==
    A4 NO Authentication failed
    A5 AUTHENTICATE CRAM-MD5
  • PDEyODAuMTM4MDY2MTEzMkBjYWxlbmRhci5iZWVoaXZlLm5ldD4=
    bmljay5maWVsZGluZyBkNjJiNDY5YTg3YWUzZTExOWYyODVkNWM3NjkyNzIzYQ==
    A5 NO Authentication failed
    A6 AUTHENTICATE CRAM-MD5
  • PDEyODAuMTM4MDY2MTE1MkBjYWxlbmRhci5iZWVoaXZlLm5ldD4=
    bmljay5maWVsZGluZ0BjYWxlbmRhci5iZWVoaXZlLm5ldCA4Y2NjZjFmMDRlNmU1NTVkNGIxY2JjN2E3YjFlYmEyOQ==
    A6 NO Authentication failed
    * OK IMAP4rev1 server ready
    A0 CAPABILITY
    * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 IDLE ACL LITERAL+ UIDPLUS QUOTA ID SORT ANNOTATE ANNOTATEMORE STATUS-COUNTERS UNSELECT LISTEXT NAMESPACE XLIST STARTTLS AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5
    A0 OK CAPABILITY completed
    A1 STARTTLS
    A1 OK Ready to start TLS
    A2 CAPABILITY
    * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 IDLE ACL LITERAL+ UIDPLUS QUOTA ID SORT ANNOTATE ANNOTATEMORE STATUS-COUNTERS UNSELECT LISTEXT NAMESPACE XLIST AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5
    A2 OK CAPABILITY completed
    A3 ID (“name” “eM Client” “version” “5.0.18661.0” “GUID” “1”)
    * ID (“name” “Kerio Connect”)
    A3 OK ID completed
    A4 AUTHENTICATE CRAM-MD5
  • PDEyODAuMTM4MDY2MTY0N0BjYWxlbmRhci5iZWVoaXZlLm5ldD4=
    bmljay5maWVsZGluZ0BjYWxlbmRhci5iZWVoaXZlLm5ldCA0YWY3MTA0MzQzMDY4NzczYTc3NzRmZWExY2U1YmJhZg==
    A4 NO Authentication failed

Hello,

can I ask what email service provider do you use?

regards
Jan

It is a corporate email domain.

Hello,

and are you sure that you are putting in right password? This is supposed to work flawlessly without problem as I have been told by developer.

with regards
Jan

100% sure I have the correct password.

Then in this case I will need your IMAP logs, go to tools - settings - advanced, check IMAP under your account, apply and restart eM Client.

Simulate steps that leads to your issue and after that send logs… to [email protected] together with this topic’s URL in subject.

then you can turn logging off.

regards
Jan

I already provided that log. I have a paid license and this is too much of a pain in the ass. I have tried 3 other mail programs and every other program has the option to force the authentication type. I don’t have any more time to troubleshoot this, I’m going back to Outlook. :frowning:

Hello,

I don’t understand when you have paid license why you do not use pro support. There you have priority and it is run by my much more experienced colleague.

Anyway without this log I am unable to provide further support to you…

with regards
Jan

I have too problem with IMAP and Kerio Connect mail server.
Login name and password is correct, SMTP ok, but IMAP login not work :frowning:

Hi, can you try in Tools - Accounts - your account - IMAP tab, in security policy try to set “don’t use secure connection” ?

Jan

I uninstalled eM client. Now I use Mozilla Thunderbird.

That is not best solution, because this could have been easily resolved by my previous answer.

Jan

Now I tested eM client 6.0.19714.0 and IMAP with Kerio Connect server work ok.

Thank you for your updated information on your issue. I am happy that we were able to solve your issue.

Jan