Assigning (or Editing) Categories in Contacts

I would like to assign and/or edit Categories to new and existing Contacts. In the Contact window, I am able, it seems, to check the appropriate categories in the Category field.  However, when I open the Distribution List for those corresponding categories, those newly edited cards don’t show up. It seems the only way I can add a person to a category is by going through Distribution List: Select Members.  (I’m not sure if this makes a difference, but I imported my Contacts from iCloud. Everything seems to be syncing beautifully, but I am having this one challenge with Categories.)

Hi, not completely sure if I understand, if you want to assign a category to an existing contact, just right click the contact and select Categorize and check the selected category.

You can also setup the categories in Tools > Categories.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion, but I still have the same problem. Let me describe it another way.

When I view the Phone List in my Contacts, all my Contacts are listed there as well as the groups (Categories) I created when I imported my data from iCloud. The Categories each have their own Contact Icon. If I click on the icon for “Team Members”, up pops a Distribution List with all the people who were originally in the group. So far, so good.

Now I would like to add John Smith as a Team Member. I right-click on John Smith’s card, go to Categories, and check the box for Team Members.

Now when I go back to the Phone List and double-click on Team Members, the Distribution List pops up, and John Smith is still not listed.

I’ve tried doing a “Refresh” after assigning John Smith the category Team Members. I’ve tried closing the program and re-opening it. Still, John Smith does not appear in the Distribution List for Team Members even though his card clearly says that he is one.

It seems the only way I can add John Smith to the category Team Members is to double-click Team Members (which opens Distribution List), click Select Members (which opens a list of all my Contacts), and check the box beside John Smith.

I get the feeling I am misunderstanding something here. I believe that adding someone to a Category should be as simple as you described. Or is there something quirky about groups that were first created in iCloud rather than eM Client? I really do appreciate your help!

Hi again, if you want to add a contact to the distribution list, you have to open the distribution list and either type in the address or select the members from your contacts list.

Categories are used to help you sort your contacts, but do not assign contacts to your folders or distribution lists.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Thank you, Paul, for this clarification. I was indeed misunderstanding something! In iCloud, groups and distribution lists are one and the same. Now that I know the difference, I am greatly relieved and know how to carry on from here. I appreciate your help.

Glad I could help, please make sure to let us know if you come across any other issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul