Anniversaries and GMail

I’ve submitted this as an enhancement request, but then came to realize that I should post this here to see if anyone else has this issue.

When I add an anniversary to one of my eM Client contacts and sync with GMail, the corresponding GMail Contact’s anniversary value is erased.  If I update the contact on the GMail side, the eM Client’s value is deleted.  So I’m in a sort of “Last In Wins” situation.

I’m using eM Client version 6.0.21034.0 on a Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit OS.

Any thoughts?

Hi George, can you please try to update to this version of eM Client and check if the issue persists? http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.21109/setup.msi

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

I have a similar problem with the anniversary.
Creating a new contact on android is fine but as soon as i edit the anniversary in eM it won’t sync and any changes made in android are ignored.
As for IPhone, creating a contact and adding an anniversary doesn’t do anything. eM is just ignoring the date, but it is still on my IPhone, at least eM isn’t deleting it.

I’m using eM Client version 6.0.21109 on a Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit OS.

Hi, what contact service are you using with eM Client, unfortunately these data types are not completely supported throughout different email clients, as they do not relate to any standard.
However the field should not be deleted for your Android device.

Thank you,
Paul.

I installed that update and am seeing the same problem.  Here’s what I tested.

I went into eM Client and added an anniversary to a contact.  After a sync, I checked Gmail and the anniversary had not come through.  I then added the anniversary to the Gmail contact and forced a sync.  This time the date on my eM Client was erased, although the date persisted in Gmail.  I then re-added it to eM Client and synced.  Sure enough the date in Gmail was erased.  So one appears to overwrite the other.

Let me know if and when I can continue to test this.

Hi again George, thank you for the additional information, I was successfully able to replicate the issue and I’ve reported it to the developers.
I hope we’ll be able to find a working solution for future updates of eM Client.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

I’m using owncloud to sync my contacts.

Hi again, can you please try to replicate the situation and send me the vcard file for the testing account after you finish the synchronization with the server after you edit the anniversary field on your android device.

Export the contact using drag and drop or forward it to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hello, here are the result of my tests:

Cynogenmod contact editor, DAVdroid, owncloud 7.0.2

• create contact with anniversary on android -> emClient does show anniversary

• edit contact on emClient -> android does not show anniversary anymore

Contact Editor (Marten Gajda), cardDAV sync (Marten Gajda), owncloud 7.0.2

• create contact on android -> emClient does not show anniversary

• edit contact on emClient -> anniversary is still shown on android

• edit contact on emClient and fill out anniversary -> android still show the old anniversary not the new one
    Saving the contacts before and after editing show the following:

• Birthdays are always stored as BDAY;VALUE=DATE:2014-11-14

• Contact Editor stores anniversary as X-ANNIVERSARY:2015-11-15 and emClient keeps that field. Contact Editor ignores field emClient writes when filling out anniversary ANNIVERSARY:20170117T000000

• Cynogenmod editor stores anniversary as ANNIVERSARY:20151115T000000 what looks pretty much like the field that emClients writes. so that seems to be the reason why emClient shows that filed. But after editing emClient writes the anniversary as ANNIVERSARY:20171117T000000 what seems to be the same way but it still is not displayed on android anymore. that doesnt make sense to me. Or the save contact function of emClient is misleading here.

Hello, after 3 months no response at all?

Hi, sorry for the late reply, what version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you please check the exact version number in Help > About? Are you also having issues with a gmail account just as the original poster or only your owncloud account?

If the issue persists with the lates release, can you please navigate to Tools > Settings > Advanced and enable CalDAV logging for the problematic account?

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    Once the error reoccurs, please go back to the advanced settings window and submit the logs to us using the “send logs” button. Please submit the logs to my email, [email protected] , with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,
Paul