Almost total failure after update to v9

OK, I decided to try removing and recreating my account in the client, to see if something would happen differently. I first exported my local e-mails, as I was warned that they would be deleted. In recreating the account, I was surprised to see that POP3 was not offered as an option, only IMAP. I was watching pretty closely. Whatever, all of you advise using IMAP, so I proceeded. The initial result was that all of my local folder e-mails magically reappeared without me having to import them, but my inbox and sent e-mails were only a subset that had been on the server. I was able to import the rest of them from my saved export. My contacts also seem to be all there without requiring an import.

So now the server contains the larger set of inbox and sent e-mails that had previously only been on my client. This is not necessarily bad, although I’m not used to seeing them on my phone. I assume that I can no longer delete them from my phone (or from the server’s web interface), as the sync process will then delete them from my desktop client as well. Correct? But I would like to understand the synchronization process better. The only setting that I can find in the eM Client account setup is ‘Message sync time period’, currently set to ‘all time’. If I read the Help file correctly, changing this is more for users who want to have on their client a (recent) subset of the messages that are on the server. The opposite of what I want.

I will probably set up automatic archiving as per Grant’s suggestion, although my past experience is that moving messages to an ‘older inbox’ folder means it is less likely that I will get around to acting on them.

Thanks for all your help and attention. (I still suggest that a bug caused my POP3 functionality to stop working correctly upon the upgrade to V9, even if only a few of us were affected.)

Well done so far. Looks like things went not too bad. A few years ago I hesitantly made the transition from POP3 to IMAP. I had been using POP3 for many years, and learnt and operated with it, so I understand your thoughts.

I couple of things you will find. Yes, if you delete or read your emails on your phone, it makes the change appear on your computer. But we have the Trash folder, so if you delete something accidentally, you can bring it back. The Trash is on the server as well.

A big thing I have come to be aware of is the individual folder sync. Some folders seem to update all the time, but mostly you actually need to click on them, before they resync. Thunderbird and Outlook are the same. Outlook offers an extra button, where you can Resync all folders. So its something to be aware of.

If you find a folder that isn’t matched, and clicking Refresh doesn’t sync it with the server, you can rebuild just that folder. Right click on the folder, Properties and click Repair. It will give you a warning and an ok button. Then it will delete all the emails locally in that folder and then redownload from the server.

After being with IMAP for a few years now, I would not go back to POP3. I manage my emails on Desktop, Laptop and Phone. For any Local storage, eg large emails, archive, some special types etc, I do all that on the Desktop, archiving or dragging into Local Folders. I only use the Laptop and Phone for access to the email Server.

You are right about a change that may have triggered this. I felt the same with AVG/Avast, where my problems were triggered by the emClient v9. But the problem was with AVG, it just operated differently with new emClient version.

1 Like

I too was having the same problem as @walkdraw after updating to v9. I use pop3 on gmail and could not receive any mail until after a send. I struggled for days to try and fix it while monitoring this forum. However after just joining the forum 10 minutes ago I am able to receive messages without sending first. I hope this has corrected my problem but I don’t understand how this could have fixed it.

I also dislike that v9 sends messages out of outbox automatically instead of allowing me to wait until I manually refresh like previous versions. I have monitored topics on this forum regarding this too. It seem EM Client doesn’t see this as a problem.

I regret updating. The only reason I did is because of Google’s warning about new authentication rules. I found out too late I only needed to check my settings, not update my version.

I was mistaken. It seemed I was receiving emails without first sending a message, at least temporarily, but now it is the same as before. When the operations box opens is says “connecting” then it quickly says “no operations in progress”. When I previously thought it was working there appeared to be a different message other than “connecting” but it disappeared too quickly to read it, though I did seem to be getting mail at that point without sending a message first.

I was able to read the message in the operations box this time while receiving after I sent a message. It says “connected” then it says “downloading messages”. So apparently EM Client v9 won’t connect to pop3 until after a send operation and then it will connect only once.

Switched to Thunderbird. It took a few days to export and then copy and paste my old emails but it wasn’t difficult. I now have an email client that works.

@Anoth

So apparently EM Client v9 won’t connect to pop3 until after a send operation and then it will connect only once.

That issue has nothing to do with eM Client V9. You don’t have to send mail to receive mail.

I use POP and IMAP accounts as do alot of my friends with eM Client V9 and they all work fine.

It’s something to do with either eg: your POP account settings, or your specific mail server, or you possibly have a corrupted account in eM Client and needs removing and re-adding from scratch. Or you have some optional program installed interfering with eM Client receiving mail.

So first off what are your POP settings “that work in Thunderbird” so we can check those ?

Note:- Hide anything personal including your account name and password etc.

Also which Mail server do you currently use ?

POP3 is no longer supported with Gmail. Please add your account again using the automatic setup in Menu > Accounts, which will configure it with IMAP and oAuth. Then move your messages from the POP3 folders to the new IMAP ones, and remove the POP3 account.

Full instructions are here: Google ‘less secure apps’ access and what it means for eM Client | eM Client

I have noticed a few people experiencing this having to send before you can receive in POP3 on gmail. My first suggestion is to change to IMAP, as it is better. But understand some people may not want to. I looked at gmail for mention of them not supporting POP and didn’t find it. But I did find this:

====================================================================
If you continue to have problems downloading emails, try using recent mode:

1. In your email client’s POP settings page, find the “Email address” or “User name” field.
  2. Add recent: in front of your email address. For example, recent:[email protected].
    ====================================================================
    I don’t know what that does, but it would be interesting to hear if it makes a difference.

I wasn’t going to respond further but was surprised by the late response so I will fill you in on the details.

I too have used pop3 protocol with a gmail account on emclient for the last 5 years and it worked well until I upgraded to v9.

Whether the issues that walkdraw and I have had has nothing to do with emclient does not mean the problem isn’t real. If the problem is caused by incorrect pop settings or a corrupted account is immaterial at this point because I have installed Thunderbird and it worked immediately as I would expect an email client to work. I am 100% satisfied with it.

As for the set up details - I have set gmail to use pop3 only for all emails and I have disabled Imap for all emails under “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” settings. The server I specified for both Thunderbird and emclient is pop.google.com using port 995 and using ssl/tls. One difference is that Thunderbird populated these fields automatically while I needed to manually do this in emclient.

I have to disagree with Gary. I am using pop3 on google. Now it may be true google plans to discontinue this in the near future but I have not heard or read anything to confirm this.

I think this problem is real but maybe it was isolated to only a few of us.

Google are not discontinuing POP3.

What I said is that you can no longer use POP3 with Google. That means an eM Client user can no longer do that. The reason is that Google requires you to use oAuth as they no longer support username/password logins. We do not support oAuth with POP3. In fact we never offered POP3 setup with Google accounts before, unless the user set it up manually themselves.

1 Like