Almost total failure after update to v9

After update, it was working, but then I found a period of several hours where no emails. They are sitting on the IMAP server, and other apps can see and download, but emClient does see them. Also, now it is reporting that my login isn’t working, but other apps, are fine.

Tried to go back to V8, but the backup can’t be used from v9 to get settings, local emails, folders etc. Ie if you upgrade to v9 you can never go back.

This situation is terrible.

If you are comfortable executing these steps, give this a try:

(1) Delete any installation files you have downloaded.
(2) Uninstall eM Client, making sure to NOT delete your database directory when asked. This will ensure your settings and data remain in place.
(3) If it exists, delete C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client
(4) Download and install the latest version from Release History 2.
(5) The latest version of eM Client should then start with all your data in place.

I uninstalled the complete program including the database directory, and then installed Version 8, which used to work ok, but it would not allow me to import from my backup. So I installed the Version 9 again, and imported from the backup. The program was still missing some emails since last night. I also noticed that against my account name in the folder window, it had an orange triangle and mouseover showed account error. This account had not changed, and was still working from my phone and another email client.

I ran the account diagnosis and it ticked ok, turned on logging, ran it again, and the account started working again, but your emails were still missing. They turned up a while later ! which is strange. Other testing shows it is working now.

I have browsed through many issues on this forum, and counted at least 4 other complaints that are the same as this. The Red triangle shows up when the connection to IMAP server is lost. That stops emails from being downloaded. All other compliants, ie mine and the 4, are after upgrading from V8 to V9.

One person suggested updating their certificate or something.

Please take this issue with the utmost urgency. I have v9 on two computers. Both connect to the same IMAP server. One just went Red triangle for the second time since upgrade. A common finding is after sending an email to yourself it starts working again, but this may not last.

Please take this seriously.

Regards
Grant

I do not work for eMC. I responded to your post with a suggestion, which am not sure if it helped or not. Hopefully an eMC employee will be able to assist you.

No it didn’t work, as I explained. The problem was still there, went away later and came back.

An important point, which I consider may be happening to me, it seems to come right after you email yourself, but comes back again. When you go into IMAP diagnosis, and turn logging on, it sends you a test email. I suspect this act ( which is effectively an email to myself ) made it come right each time.

@Grant_Collingwood

I uninstalled the complete program including the database directory, and then installed Version 8, which used to work ok, but it would not allow me to import from my backup

If you uninstall V9 but backed up in V8 prior to the upgrade, you have to reinstall eM Client V8 to be able to restore the eM Client V8 backup. This is because the database is upgraded when you upgrade to V9 and is not backwards compatible.

So if it’s an IMAP account, you would uninstall V9 and delete the database on uninstall when asked. Then d/l the latest V8 from the version history page and reinstall the program.

Then after opening eM Client, skip the email setup wizard and click “Menu / File / Restore” which will then bring up your V8 dated backup and restore as it was prior to the V9 upgrade.

eM Client will then update any IMAP emails from your mail server since the backup was done.

Note:- Before uninstalling eM Client go to your user profile / documents / eM Client folder and copy the eM Client V8 backup.zip file you prev created to another location incase anything goes wrong. You can see the backup file location in eM Client via “Menu / Settings / General / Backup”.

Once you have V8 working again and all your mail up to date, I would then create another backup in eM Client via “Menu / Backup”. You can then try upgrading to V9 again.

Lastly before you go to upgrade to V9 again, go to “Menu / Accounts” in V8 and click on your IMAP account and take a note of all your settings. You can then dblcheck they are the same after you upgrade if any problems.

One person suggested updating their certificate or something

You shouldn’t normally need to update or add any certificates just to upgrade to V9 as its the same program as V8 except alot of newer features. You can certainly check though with your IMAP mailbox provider if you do need any certificates or certificate updates for use with mail clients. I suspect you don’t need any though as with most IMAP cloud mailboxes.

Sorry for your assumptions. To explain, when I first installed v9, I did a backup then. That is what I restored with after reinstalling v9.

The core problem is not the backup issue, it is the client losing connectivity and not receiving emails. There are 4 other complaints in this forum about the same problem. There must be a serious issue with this version. See the following:

@Grant_Collingwood

The core problem is not the backup issue, it is the client losing connectivity and not receiving emails. There are 4 other complaints in this forum about the same problem. There must be a serious issue with this version

There is no serious issues with V9 and will be something with either the eg: email settings incorrect somewhere or something else outside the program causing issues with the mailer connecting properly. Could be eg: some remote IMAP server mailbox related connectivity issue between you and the mail server, or even a local program installed interfering with the mailer connecting to the remote IMAP mailbox.

You would need to get the error messages from your eM Client operational log in the menu to determine the problem.

When the problem happened, I was still getting mail from the same mail box on a different computer using Thunderbird, plus my phone which accesses the same mailbox was getting mail ok. My two computers with emClient were not getting mail. They showed the red triangle that 4 other people have reported here since upgrading to v9.

You may not think it is serious, but to all of us 5 users, it is serious.

1 Like

@Grant_Collingwood

My two computers with emClient were not getting mail. They showed the red triangle that 4 other people have reported here since upgrading to v9.

Who is your mail server IMAP host and what are your IMAP server mail settings & Protocols etc in eM Client. Blank out any personal account name details.

Also does your IMAP Mail server have OAuth automatic setup or only manual setup.

My IMAP host is 1stdomains.

If you look at the others here as I mentioned, one is broadband.roger, one is ATT, one is Yahoo, and not sure about the other. All these users complain after upgrade from v8 to v9, as am I. Are you really suggesting that all our mail settings or servers went faulty when the only change was emClient upgrade ?

Also, that it was intially working after v8 to v9 and then it stopped by itself. This is the same scenario other users complained about in this forum. And that it is still working now after the self delivered email. ( Same scenario others complained about )

But since you ask, I have attached screen shot of my IMAP account screen

The settings are correct.

Can you please provide the IMAP error from Menu > Operations > Log tab? You can click on the error line and choose Copy, then paste it in here, with the email address redacted.

Did you try removing the account and adding it back again?

I know the settings are correct. It has been working fine on v8 since v8 was released.

There is no error. As I have been saying, and others have said with the same scenario, the problem went away after they sent an email to themselves. I had an issue when the problem came back today on one of the 2 computers I use, and then I sent an email to myself, and it went away again.

When the problem is happening, the red triangle shows beside the account name on the left hand side, and it says no connection to server. That red triangle went away after the email to myself was sent.

If there is a red triangle, there is an error listed in the log tab. Please look again in the Log tab. Not the Error tab, the LOG tab.

If there is no error, then it is connecting and you will see the folders listed in the log as it syncs each one, and there will be no red triangle.

Did you try removing the account and adding it back again?

As I said, there is no red triangle now to look at. In each case it went away after email sent to myself. No red triangle so no error.

As mentioned above in this forum, I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the client. At that stage it was still faulty on both computers.

Please restart eM Client. When you see the red triangle there will be an error.

Reinstalling eM Client will not make any difference. Did you try removing the account and adding it back again?

The client has been restarted each day on one computer, and I have restarted the other several times today. There has only been one occasion on one of the computers today of the red triangle but it went away.

What is the point in removing the account when the red triangle is no longer there ?

OK, if it comes and goes, it is most likely a server issue, or something with your connection.

Next time you see the red triangle, go to Menu > Operations > LOG tab, and copy the error.

Once we know what the error is, we can look for a way to resolve it.

Hi folks. Everyone is talking about not receiving e-mails after the upgrade. My problem is that the application force closes right after start.