All of my mail -- over 17,000 emails-- are downloading into eM Client! What happened?

I am furious! This happened once before. All of a sudden, eM Client is downloading ALL of my emails from my Comcast account (POP3).  It is interesting that this happened immediately after I sent a problem report that Em Client was no longer syncing my tasks with Google.

How can I fix this without having to go through all 17,000 emails again? I can’t remember which ones I read and which ones I didn’t.

Hi Jean,
this is actually not something eM Client is doing, it’s most likely your server pushing your mails as if they were newly received (maybe some minor changes in saving/tagging that changed the data). You could enable and send me your POP3 logs to [email protected] if you want to be sure, but I think you should contact your server provider and ask them about this issue.

Best regards,
Olivia

I emailed you the log file, as requested.  However, is there any way to stop this from happening? When I saw the “unread” inbox filling up with thousands of emails, I tried to stop the “send/receive” function, but could not find any way to do it.  There is no “cancel” option?

Hi Jean,
I consulted your situation with our Developers and Programmers, and they confirmed what I thought - it is not technically possible for eM Client to be the cause of this issue. eM Client can’t on its own re-download all your emails.

Are you sure this is happening with your POP3 comcast account? Isn’t there something forwarding these mails from a different account maybe? Check which account the emails really are from and maybe screenshot the settings and also check your setting on the web for the given email address.

Next time this happens (and I hope it won’t) try clicking “File -> Work Offline” to stop/cancel the download and try to check with the server.

Best regards,
Olivia

Yes, this is my POP3 Comcast account.  I don’t have any other account that is forwarding anything. I just checked my settings on Comcast, and nothing is set to forward anything.  The emails are all coming directly from my Comcast account to eM Client, just like they have been for the past year.

I also forgot to mention that there are duplicate emails that were downloaded, so now I have to weed through those, as well.