Alias name: not just an address as identifier

I agree, your “from to”  field is your IDENTITY. This is like a business card allowing you only your email address as your first, last.  The good news for em is if you fix this (relatively easy) you can gain a lot of kudos from the user base and stop attrition.  I almost uninstalled because of this.  Just do it.  

Farzad

Hi Phillip, thank you for the suggestion as I previously noted, we’re working on resolving the issue for upcoming releases.

Regards,
Paul

Hi Paul, I am in the software/web business myself and familiar with sprints, releases, priorities etc.  What puzzles me is this.  This thread started 2 years ago!!  The ability to show who your email is coming from is primal to any email client system.  Furthermore, I know that stuffing that field is a couple lines of code.  A vague it is on our to do list and has been for 2 years is not a good way of instilling confidence or praise in the customer base.   Here are two options that I recommend.  1- Is there a crazy workaround to get this thing done like putting “”"“Farzad Mobin <[email protected]”"" or whatever that will work?  Your dev may have an idea.  2- Doing a hotfix and a mni release just to address this (again this is how the user gets seen by ALL people that get their emails)  3- Making it top priority for the next release and giving a rough indication of when that is coming out.  After all it’s been two years we have waited for this.  BTW, all else about the product rocks.  Just take this pain in the ass out of the equation.   Thanks, Farzad

Nothing to add! Thanks Phillip!!
Paul, please get this finally fixed!! As an update for V6, and not maybe for V7-V20!!

Well, I can add an alias like “Name” <[email protected]> an the receiver gets my name shown in his MUA. But when I receive an mail on my alias and I want to reply with this alias, I have to chosse it in the dropdown menu. It is not automatically chosen. This only works when I add the alias with only the mail address.

If the alias is setup in your eM Client for the mail account you’ve added as the main account for these aliases. Any incoming messages to this alias will on reply assign the alias as the from address. I’m unfortunately unable to replicate any issues using this option.

Replies always assign the To address as From when composing a new message if the To address of the message is setup in eM Client as an alias or as an account.

Regards,
Paul

Hello everybody, I am in the same situation but didn’t catch if there is a way to display the alias name and the alias email together. Is there any combination of “name” or address “name” or that will work?
I am able to set alias mail and display name with a remote Horde client for my imap address (and it works) but can’t understand how to set it up in em client. Simple email alias is working, but it is useless without the Name field so I am asking if there is a special syntax to use here.
I got error messages like “missing or malformed local part” and “@” or “.” expected etc…

Have a really nice day you all!

Hi Pasquale, unfortunately it is not possible to setup a different display name for your aliases, the display name setup for your account should be displayed for all your aliases.

Regards,
Paul

thanks Paul, this would be ok for me but unfortunately the display name of the main account is not shown when I use the alias. The receiver only sees the alias email in the “from:” field.
Notice that If I select the main account address the dispay name is correctly sent.
Any suggestions?
thanks!

This has been an issue with gmail accounts, where gmail ignored the identifier attached to the aliases, however you’ve mentioned you’re using Horde as your mail server, can you please try to display the source code of a sent message that you’ve sent using eM Client using your alias?

Right click the message in your sent folder and select “Show source”, copy the content of the source code and submit it to us here on the forum.

If possible you can try to display the source code of the message from your webmail application as well and submit it to us for comparison or check if the source is identical.

Thank you,
Paul

I only masked the addresses: [email protected] is the alias mail address (the one I want people see in the from: field), ANDY is the display name to be set in the from field, [email protected] is the recipient address I am using to check if it works.
[email protected] is the main account address, the one I use to “smtp out” mails

Thank you

***************This is the one sent with Em:***************
Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: by 10.36.123.139 with SMTP id q133csp530240itc; Tue, 17 Mar 2015
03:04:45 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 10.180.187.12 with SMTP id fo12mr107395495wic.29.1426586685114;
Tue, 17 Mar 2015 03:04:45 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path:
Received: from horatius.dnshigh.com (horatius.dnshigh.com. [46.30.244.32]) by
mx.google.com with ESMTPS id gp8si2393843wib.20.2015.03.17.03.04.44 for
(version=TLSv1.2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
bits=128/128); Tue, 17 Mar 2015 03:04:45 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: none (google.com: [email protected] does not
designate permitted sender hosts) client-ip=46.30.244.32;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=none (google.com:
[email protected] does not designate permitted sender hosts)
smtp.mail=info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx…
Received: from host32-48-dynamic.54-82-r.retail.telecomitalia.it
([82.54.48.32]:55002 helo=[192.168.1.7]) by horatius.dnshigh.com with esmtpsa
(TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256) (Exim 4.85) (envelope-from
) id 1YXoMd-0007HW-Jo for
[email protected]; Tue, 17 Mar 2015 11:04:43 +0100
To: “[email protected]
Subject: Test from Em
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:04:35 +0000
Message-Id:
Reply-To: [email protected]
User-Agent: eM_Client/6.0.21372.0
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any
abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - horatius.dnshigh.com
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - gmail.com
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [47 12] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.it
X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: horatius.dnshigh.com: authenticated_id:
[email protected]

This is a test message from Em Client

***************And this is the one with Roundcube, via webmail:***************
Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: by 10.36.123.139 with SMTP id q133csp526538itc; Tue, 17 Mar 2015
02:57:13 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 10.180.12.194 with SMTP id a2mr106075951wic.55.1426586232826;
Tue, 17 Mar 2015 02:57:12 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path:
Received: from horatius.dnshigh.com (horatius.dnshigh.com. [46.30.244.32]) by
mx.google.com with ESMTPS id m15si2366963wiv.17.2015.03.17.02.57.12 for
(version=TLSv1.2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
bits=128/128); Tue, 17 Mar 2015 02:57:12 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: none (google.com: [email protected] does not
designate permitted sender hosts) client-ip=46.30.244.32;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=none (google.com:
[email protected] does not designate permitted sender hosts)
smtp.mail=info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx…
Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1]:33858 helo=horatius.dnshigh.com) by
horatius.dnshigh.com with esmtpa (Exim 4.85) (envelope-from
) id 1YXoFL-0005Ou-RI for
[email protected]; Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:57:11 +0100
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:57:10 +0100
To: [email protected]
Subject: Test from Roudcube
Reply-To: [email protected]
Mail-Reply-To: [email protected]
Return-Receipt-To: ANDY

Disposition-Notification-To: ANDY

Message-ID:
X-Sender: [email protected]
User-Agent: Roundcube Webmail/1.0.5
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any
abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - horatius.dnshigh.com
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - gmail.com
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [47 12] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.it
X-Get-Message-Sender-Via: horatius.dnshigh.com: authenticated_id:
[email protected]

This is a test mail from Roundcube

Hi again Pasquale, thank you for sharing this data with us, I’ve did some further testing with the application and discussed the issue with the developers. This indeed is a missing feature of the application and if you’re adding aliases to your account display name is not added to the address.

This is because eM Client currently does not support different display names for aliases and we believe that while using aliases such as “[email protected]” etc. while using the alias as secondary to your personal account, it is not wanted to have your name setup as the display name for the aliases.

However I’ve suggested to improve this option for future updates of eM Client. We’re also currently working on an upcoming release of eM Client that will feature custom display names for aliases.

But unfortunately it is not possible to setup the display name for your alias while using the current settings, your display name would only be used if your mail server had the aliases setup in the carddav settings and if the aliases were automatically setup with your account setup under the linked accounts.

Regards,
Paul

Thanks Paul, here’s my situation: I had to send newsletters to even 2000 people at a time and my hosting server limited my max recipients number to 300/hour. So I had to split my recipients in fragments of 300 and schedule a mail with 300 recipients per hour (they told me that they could not be set as spam sender, that’s why). This was pretty insane, so I asked my “hosting guy” for giving me another address that had not this sending limitation because I would like that my contacts continue to see (and reply) my original display name (and [email protected] address).
This new address is [email protected] and I set this as the main account.
I mean, I would like that my recipients don’t notice any difference from my previous mails: display name and address, so that they easily understand that … it is me.

I will keep sending these kind of mails via webmail for now, waiting for this opportuity on Em Client

To be more general, it would be great to add aliases with the syntax of something like "Name ", so that each alias could have its Display name

Thanks again, I’m (we are) waiting for a beta/new version then! :slight_smile: have a nice day!

Hi Paul, 
Is there a beta version of V7 ready for testing this new feature? A lot of (paying) users have been waiting for this for several years now…
Thanks,
Ruediger

Hi, version 7 is not yet ready for public beta testing, however should be released during summer 2015.
Follow us on facebook or twitter to get the latest updates regarding the new release.