Added a password to the database folder and now eM Client won't start

eM Client won’t start and so I cannot change the password in eM Client! The database is on a WDMyCloud server and was unprotected while I was testing eM Client.  I am happy with eM Client and so, not thinking, I secured the database folder on the MyCloud with a password.  Now eM Client can’t start and doesn’t give me an option to access the configuration to add the password!  Help!!

Hello Paul,
I am not quite sure where exactly you used password security - is this the Startup password or some protection on your server? If this was the Database password you set up through eM Client, I am afraid we are able to restore this one only for PRO license users - if you are a PRO license user, you can contact PRO support here - http://support.emclient.com/ and they wil try to restore the database for you. Otherwise you can delete the database and start over with a new one, however, you could lose your settings and local data.
If this is some kind of server security, I am afraid you will need to contact them to help you with your data.

Regards,
Olivia

I guess I didn’t make my problem clear.  The eM Client database is on a server, and the folder is password protected.  eM Client simply won’t start.

When I was using MS Outlook it would at least startup and then error out but Outlook would allow me to go to settings and correct the issue.

Since  eM Client simply fails to start, I can’t add the password to settings.  What can I do to get this resolved?  Is there a config file in the eM Client folder(s) that I can post the password?

Regards,

Paul

So you set up a password for the eM Client database before but are not prompted for it when you try to start eM client? Or is there ANY error message?

No, no original password.  I had eM Client setup and running on the server with no security on the folder.  Now I have applied security to the folder but eM Client will not start so I cannot now add a password to the eM Client configuration.  

The question is where can I add the password to some configuration file used by eM Client since I cannot do it through eM Client - it will no longer start.

Regards,
Paul

Hello Paul,
the problem seems to be with the ‘applied security’, and I am really not sure what you mean by that.
The only password that you can set up for eM Client itself in is Tools>Settings>Password Protected Startup, but that will ask you for the password only after you set it up and eM Client will ask you for it during startup. This password cannot be added through a configuration file.
If you applied a different kind of security yourself through another program, I am afraid you’ll need to solve it through that setting/program.

Regards,
Olivia

Still not understanding the problem, and I can’t believe this isn’t common for anyone using a server for the mail database. The issue is the eM Client database is on a server (not on my local PC) and because the server folders (directories) are password protected eM Client can’t access those database files without knowing/having/saved the username and password.  This was easy under MS Outlook, but I can’t find any way nor any reference to setting up eM Client as a client with the database on a server.

I’ve attached your eM Client error message.  Can anyone help with this?

Regards,

Paul