5.0 - download pictures - Is there an "always"

Since it started working for me I am quite content the way things are.

I 'd like it too.

Its pretty shocking something this basic isnt a feature.

Just installed eM and its screwed up my iCloud contacts that were linked with facebook and getting constant red !'s and after research thats an issue that has been on going for 3 years with no work around.

Not a good start.

I’d like this to be fixed also; the workaround for creating a whitelist is clumsy and a time & space waster.

By selecting to always display unsafe content mine downloads automatically…

My question is: What else might be getting downloaded? Does it run/execute java/vbscript/any scripts inside a mail? Besides images, what am I opening myself up to by selecting this option?

+1. The workaround is decent, but not as good as an “always download from this source” approach.

Hello,

This feature is potentially dangerous as spambots can take an advantage from this. So it is not allowed to protect our customers who has no advanced knowledge of computing or/and internet technology.

so far it is not planned, maybe in the future when we will receive more than enough requests then we could consider it, but not in close future.

still you can use - on your own responsibility - Tools - Settings - Mail - Privacy and display all unsafe content in all messages.

regards
Jan

The spambot rationale makes no sense. The first thing an unsophisticated user will do is tick the box for “download potentially unsafe content FROM ALL SENDERS.” (Emphasis added.)

The whole idea of the ability to download pictures from whitelisted senders is to provide automatic, granular control over potentially unsafe content. If I trust email from amazon.com but not from Dr. Oz, why are my choices the get potentially unsafe content from neither or both? And how is it that adding a sender to my “allow” list is not equally on my own responsibility?

Come on, folks, this cant be technically difficult to implement. I can say, though, that between this issue and a few others, the only thing keeping me from walking away from my $50 emClient license and switching to Opera Mail (free) is the google calendar integration. Hmmm, I wonder what third party calendar apps might fill that need.

Spambots usually test if address is real or not by sending picture with unique address code and when user clicks on it or client downloads it then spambot adds that email to database because it got proof that that email address exists.

anyway this idea with white list is good, I am changing this topic to idea and to be considered.

regards
Jan

Again, the rationale of protecting from spambots doesn’t make sense. The spambot will catch the unsophisticated user who has selected “download from all senders”. For senders who haven’t selected that option, it is no easier to hit the “whitelist this sender” button than to hit the “download images in this email” button - in fact I would argue that the latter is easier. The fact that whitelisting is permanent for that sender is totally irrelevant from the perspective of spambots, because once you’ve downloaded images from one email they’ve got you.

So in no way that I can see does leaving out the whitelist functionality protect anyone. Does emClient really disagree or is that just the excuse you’re using for putting this basic email feature on the back burner?

And the unsophisticated user is majority, that is why we did it like it is. Again I marked Whitelist as an idea so it wont ̈t be forgotten.

regards
Jan

But my argument was that there is in fact no advantage or risk prevention for the unsophisticated user by not implementing this feature.

Well I have just got message that this will be in 6th version scheduled to release in few weeks.

regards
Jan

I believe what is being stated is that in effect, downloading the pictures can be taken as a confirmation of an email addresses functionality. Clever spammers could send emails with unique images, and when that image is accessed use that as a “address verification”. I understand the benefit in not downloading all.

As to the white list, I like the idea. I know I could always change it to only download images from contacts, but I hate the thought of adding all senders (bestbuy, google, amazon, etc. there’s literally 100’s) to my contacts seems like it would add undue burdon. Especially since the reason I use emClient is for the iCloud/iDevice sync ability I’d then have a phone full of contacts I really don’t care for other than “to download images”.

Anyway, I’m going with the always download option but if a “white list”, whereby selecting “show images” for one sender ALWAYS shows the images for that sender, I would use it instead. I just don’t want to add the myriad of “useful spam” senders to my contact list.

Thanks guys.

• Joe

Hello,

I am glad that in the end we understood each other well, new version should be here in few weeks.

regards
Jan

That is great news!

I think this feature has been implemented in the latest client.

Hello,

well my colleague knew what he was writing 9 months before :slight_smile: Now we support options for automatic image downloading and in 6th version there will be whitelist for this function too.

with regards
Jan

Yeah, I saw this was an old post, but I noticed the tag on the question still said “planned”. I figured it might help others like me who were looking at the product to see that this is no longer “planned”, but “implemented”. :slight_smile:

Hello,

thank you for pointing this out, when I am replying to some post and not making new one I sometimes oversee button with topic statutes :slight_smile:

regards
Jan