Mail duplication (eM Client v. 7.0.266 [etc.])

I see I’m not alone in having this problem. I’ve run de-duplicator several times on my Inbox, but messages continue to be duplicated. For example (with some names erased from the screen shot for privacy’s sake):

I’ve confirmed that all of the apparently duplicated messages are in fact duplicated. When I run de-duplicator, it reports that it didn’t find any duplicates.

What to do?

I have had similar issues in the past (pop3) so from memory, here goes with some ideas.

Emclient stores messages in a DB and what appears (shows) in a folder is a link to the message and not the message itself.

So if I recieved a message it showed once in my inbox. If I then forwarded it it then it showed in the sent box, that is 2 links, but there is only 1 message in the DB. 

I had to be very careful when deleting, because in deleting from one folder deleted the message from the DB and so the message link was deleted from the 2nd folder.

David

Hmm. Does that apply to messages that come both POP3 and IMAP mail systems?

I’ve been deleting duplicates manually…it’s going to take a while.

The duplicates in question are from my POP3 account, not the IMAP (gmail) account.

Well, I hope the procedure I’ve been following — mimicking how I did this in that ancient email program Eudora — isn’t going to give me grief: if there’s a message I want to preserve locally but not keep on the server, I first copy it to the local folder where I want to store it, then delete it from Inbox. Then I empty the Trash folder.

This always worked like a charm with Eudora and it  appears to be doing what I want with eM Client. I wouldn’t try it with Gmail messages — as I understand it, local Gmail messages are only links to messages that are actually stored only on the server. (I know there’s some kind of offline functionality with Gmail but I have never used it.)

I’m sorry that I can’t remember. The de-dupe of course only ‘saw’ what was in the DB.

I  do however remember exporting the messages from emclient in eml format. Then deleting within emclient and importing back from the eml backup.