Favorite Folders

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Under Consideration
I am longtime TB user, loving eMClient..

I did like TB's ability to designate certain folders as "Favorites" and only display them in left-hand pane. Keeps the view much cleaner and easy to navigate.

Any chance of a similar feature in eMC?

An alternative would be the ability to hide folders from the normal view.

The advantage of the Favorite approach (IMO) is the ability to toggle them all off or on at once.
Photo of David Robertson

David Robertson

• 29 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Joe Dunn

Joe Dunn

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have just migrated to eMClient from Outlook and find myself missing just 1 thing so far - and this is effectively what you are asking for - FAVORITES

With Outlook there was a toolbar icon to show a smallish number of recently used folders which you could save to but with eMClient I have only the option to navigate my entire list of folders - a "Favorites" feature would do the trick so I second what David is asking about
Photo of David Robertson

David Robertson

• 29 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Any thoughts from eMCLient staff on whether this is likely, possible, unlikely?
Photo of George Wilson

George Wilson, Official Rep

• 4267 Posts
  • 138 Reply Likes
Thank you for the suggestion. We will discuss it and consider implementing of this feature.
Photo of art.ima.33

art.ima.33

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
George, I recently dloaded emc and have a yahoo imap account. my inbox transferred, but my folders did not. Can you help?
Photo of Martin Wessels

Martin Wessels

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Folders in eMclient do not work reliably or not at all. Support is nothing but hot air. What a useless piece of rubbish.

Photo of George Wilson

• 4267 Posts
  • 138 Reply Likes
Hello,
we decided to implement it so you can expect it in one of the next versions.
Photo of Joe Dunn

Joe Dunn

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I look forward to that - good to see such a positive response!
Photo of neil

neil

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm with this guy - missing the favourite folders with the ability to rename them enormously. Right click, add to favourites then you can also rename it - so if I have 5 inboxes they can all be renamed with friendly names to help organise myself too.

I'm all hopeful for this one feature.
Photo of neil

neil

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It's worth noting that I have been a pro subscriber for a few years now but avoiding the V7 upgrade due to a lack of this favourites feature. Come on dev's, there is a lot talk on this thread to warrant some coding for the favourites option to keep your paying customers happy and quite likely gain a few more.
Photo of Martin Wessels

Martin Wessels

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Folders in eMclient do not work reliably or not at all. Support is nothing but hot air. What a useless piece of rubbish.
Photo of Miguel Melo

Miguel Melo

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I completely am for this suggestion: favourite folders.

Right now, dragging into Local Folders, when you have many, is very painful as you can only see a few in the tree and scrolling there happens WAY too fast so I keep overshooting the folder where I want to drag to.
Photo of Dawn Castillo

Dawn Castillo

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same here. I just started using eM Client. I am loving it so far except for the glaring issue of not being able to have a favorites folder. Any update on when this feature might be available?
Photo of George Wilson

• 4267 Posts
  • 138 Reply Likes
I am sorry but I cannot tell you any exact time frame when it will be implemented.
Photo of Paul Gaynor

Paul Gaynor

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am a former outlook user who would really appreciate the favorites folder feature as well.
Photo of Spencer Moore

Spencer Moore

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
ditto, would like favorites
Photo of Johan

Johan

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Jan,

As you can see in my post I already did setup 2 smart folders. I want to know if Emclient can dynamically switch the sender address based on which smartfolder I am in when I click New email.
Photo of Anonymous

Anonymous

• 5420 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Hello,

No, eM Client can't switch automatically between sender email address based on smart folder, and it is not planned in the future as we now focus on another requested features.

regards
Jan
Photo of Miguel Melo

Miguel Melo

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Speaking of which, is an update due any time soon? I'm a em pro user (via SoftMaker office) and haven't seen any updates for as long as I've registered it.
Photo of Anonymous

Anonymous

• 5420 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Hello,

there are planned last 5 update soon and after this release of 6th version. But I can't tell you more exact time than few week for both (5th of course sooner).

regards
Jan
Photo of Martin Wessels

Martin Wessels

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can we expect favorite folders in version 6?
Photo of Anonymous

Anonymous

• 5420 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Unfortunately not, but you can still use search folders for this. They serve absolutely same.
Only difference is that they are not named favourities :)

with regards
Jan
Photo of Grant Collingwood

Grant Collingwood

• 35 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Not true. You cannot add or drag items into search folders. They have been discussed previously and discarded as not the same.
Photo of Gary Curtin

Gary Curtin

• 9443 Posts
  • 1120 Reply Likes
Yes, because a Search Folder is not really a folder. It is a query result. 

We are still hoping to see real Favorite Folders at some stage. :-)
Photo of Rob Damiani

Rob Damiani

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any idea when Favorite folders will become a reality?
Photo of PublicBenemy

PublicBenemy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
A Search Folder isn't an alternative to a Favorite Folder at all. Thus, it just shouldn't be suggested. Point.
Photo of Gary Curtin

Gary Curtin

• 9388 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
Favorite Folders are not available in eM Client, that is given, but Search Folders can offer some of the functions. Suggesting them as an alternative does not mean that they are an exact duplicate of what the OP was using in Thunderbird, but simply available as another possibility.

I personally think they should be suggested where appropriate, and the user can decide for themselves if they are useful.
Photo of Olivia Rust

Olivia Rust, Official Rep

• 4856 Posts
  • 295 Reply Likes
Hi everyone,
I have some good news for you, Favourite folders are a planned feature for eM Client 8, they will be available in the left folder list similarly as Smart and account folders are.

Regards,
Olivia
Photo of Gary Curtin

Gary Curtin

• 9388 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
Excellent news Olivia. 

I don't suppose there is any indication of when that might be?

Grant Collingwood

• 35 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks Olivia. I am very much looking forward to this feature.
Photo of Brian

Brian

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
any update to favorites folder? i already have the search folder but seems as in version 7 i am no longer able to click and drag out of there into another folder. Thank you.
Photo of Marc K

Marc K

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Search Folders is a decent work-around except that it does not display an unread count.

Grant Collingwood

• 35 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Not decent, when you can't add items to them. Nothing like favourites.
Photo of rob damiani

rob damiani

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
need to have favorite folders or it's back to outlook for me
Photo of Simon Hearn

Simon Hearn

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Search folders also cannot be sorted in the way you want, they are stuck in alphabetical order. This and the lack of unread count makes them an lesser cousin of a favourites list.
Photo of Jay Ogram

Jay Ogram

• 1905 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
You can sort search folders anyway you like, but you are correct, it does not include an unread count
Photo of Marc K

Marc K

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Please tell us the unread count will be fixed in 7.1.
Photo of Simon Hearn

Simon Hearn

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
@Jay Sorry, I didn't mean sorting mail in a folder - you are right, that is possible in the same way as any other folder. What I meant was sorting the folders in the list on the left hand side. I am stuck with the order that em client decides and can't move them up or down.
Photo of Jay Ogram

Jay Ogram

• 1905 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Gotcha.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  You are correct, can't sort that way...
Photo of Marc K

Marc K

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No unread count in 7.1  :(
Photo of PublicBenemy

PublicBenemy

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
+1

I need real favorite folders. The search folder workaround doesn't work for me, as I cannot drag & drop emails into them. Plus the unread count flaw.

Grant Collingwood

• 35 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
The requests for Favourite Folders has been going in for over 5 years now, and the response from staff is always that Search Folders do the same thing. They Do Not. Many people have responded with limitations:
No UnRead Count
Folders Cannot be Sorted
Emails cannot be added in to Search Folders. 
Basically, except for searching, Search Folders are useless, and shouldn't be offered as a Favourites replacement. Sorry to be blunt, but it seems this request for a very useful facility is not being understood.

Why not just allow us to add in Custom Smart Folders. That would appear to be the same as Favourites.
Grant.
Photo of Marc K

Marc K

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
In trying to use search folders, I ran into another problem.  If the account is a Gmail account and you try to move a message out of a search folder, it won't get moved.  It will get linked into the destination folder, but it will not be moved out of the originating folder.
Photo of Jay Ogram

Jay Ogram

• 1905 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
This is due to the structure of Gmail.  Gmail does not have actual folders-- all mail is stored in the "All Mail" folder.  Then it uses categories to simulate folders and, in fact, eM Client displays them as folders.  The issue is, an individual email may have multiple categories and therefore display in multiple folders.  The search folder would not have anyway to know which category to delete the moved email from, so it leaves it in all the original "folders".

If you move from a specific folder, eM Client then knows what the from folder is and can therefore remove the category marker for the original folder.